I think it's not just that looks are only a part of attraction: it's also that different people find different things attractive. Some of the appearance things I really don't like about myself are the bits that make my boy go weak at the knees!
sfp- oh, I know. I'm not trying to claim a monopoly, believe me!
T- You've got a deal!
a- Indeed.
db- I haven't found the fix yet. Best I can do is to try to keep my mouth shut. (which, need I add, is NOT an easy task!)
J- You're absolutely right -- individual preferences cannot be discounted. Yet, I don't think it's off base to say that a lot of us can't find a danged thing about ourselves that we'd call attractive - yet there they are, all hands and teeth.
Yeah, I need more than a 2 x 4, myself. SP, in fact, has given up on ever correcting my thinking and just says I need to start cultivating an attitude of "love me for it..." (also not easy - but sweet of him)
My first response was OMG yes! Then my mind took another look and it hit me in the gut: it's so true, and so very complex, and also so damaged and damaging.... And so many of us feel this.
I showed this to my husband - something i rarely do, he paused, sighed, and agreed - sadly.
Thank you for - not a 2 X 4, but a reminder none the less.
It's almost mind-boggling, isn't it? I know I have never managed to get my mind past the mirror response part. Fortunately, I've been somewhat luckier with understanding that it's only a piece of the big picture. But I would have to run screaming if I ever started seeing someone who likes mirrors on the ceiling...
13 comments:
wish it weren't that way for all of us
sfp
When you find the answer to that question, will you please let me know? I'll do the same...
*hugs*
Turiya
O, nice, so true!! Yes...
One if my biggest struggles indeed, drives him ape-shit. If you find a way go fix it let us all know.
I think it's not just that looks are only a part of attraction: it's also that different people find different things attractive. Some of the appearance things I really don't like about myself are the bits that make my boy go weak at the knees!
*shugs*
One of those universal, unanswerable questions, like "what is the meaning of life?"... oh, wait, that's 42 isn't it?
I'm laughing while I bump shoulders. ;)
sfp-
oh, I know.
I'm not trying to claim a monopoly, believe me!
T-
You've got a deal!
a-
Indeed.
db-
I haven't found the fix yet.
Best I can do is to try to keep my mouth shut.
(which, need I add, is NOT an easy task!)
J-
You're absolutely right -- individual preferences cannot be discounted.
Yet, I don't think it's off base to say that a lot of us can't find a danged thing about ourselves that we'd call attractive - yet there they are, all hands and teeth.
m-
so long and thanks for all the fish! ;-p
That picture is perfect.
Unfortunately, I think it might take more than a 2x4 for some of us. Not naming any names...Shouldn't implicate myself like that lol.
Yeah, I need more than a 2 x 4, myself.
SP, in fact, has given up on ever correcting my thinking and just says I need to start cultivating an attitude of "love me for it..."
(also not easy - but sweet of him)
My first response was OMG yes! Then my mind took another look and it hit me in the gut: it's so true, and so very complex, and also so damaged and damaging.... And so many of us feel this.
I showed this to my husband - something i rarely do, he paused, sighed, and agreed - sadly.
Thank you for - not a 2 X 4, but a reminder none the less.
It's almost mind-boggling, isn't it?
I know I have never managed to get my mind past the mirror response part.
Fortunately, I've been somewhat luckier with understanding that it's only a piece of the big picture.
But I would have to run screaming if I ever started seeing someone who likes mirrors on the ceiling...
You know me. It's about the entire package...always has been.
-H
True.
But this is less about the attraction we feel as it is how attractive we feel.
Some of us didn't do as well in that lottery as others.
;-)
Post a Comment