This post was first written because I'd come across a link for a site where you could view "A Movie Jz Says You Shouldn't Miss" - The Business of Fancydancing. Sadly, by the time I retrieved it from the odd bits folder, the site had been closed. (So much for that idea!)
But I still urge you to see the movie. (nods to Netflix)
Here's why I think it's worth it:
For one thing, presentation. It's visually gorgeous and the actors are all quite compelling.
It also contains one of the most haunting and powerful a-cappella-songs-in-a-language-you-probably-don't-know that you're ever likely to hear. (Even if you don't watch the movie, go listen to this: Onilshatin. It will seriously be giving you goosebumps by the end...)
The biggest draw for me however is that Fancydancing was written and directed by Sherman Alexie.
I've been a Sherman Alexie fan since "Indian Killer" first came out in '96 - and I haven't been disappointed by his works yet. I won't lie and say I've read "everything single thing he's ever written! *squee!*" but I have read quite a bit of his poetry, the majority of his books (who could not pick up a book entitled, "The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven"?,) and both "The Business of Fancydancing" and "Smoke Signals" are among my favorite movies. (And, yes, I've been known to get the ditty, "John Wayne's Teeth" stuck in my head, as well. Thank you for that, Mr. Alexie! ;-p)
His themes are never particularly comfortable - there's always anger, despair, and a lot of internal conflict, but the writing is amazing. It's sharp but tempered with a lot of low-key, incisive humor that invites us to join in the laughter, even though we are feeling a bit complicit around the edges... As Wikipedia tells us, "... he uses humor and pop culture [to leave] the readers with a sense of respect, understanding, and compassion."
So I guess this post is actually a two-fer...
It's "a movie you shouldn't miss" AND "an author you shouldn't skip."
If you haven't already, give 'em a try - and let me know what you think.

2 comments:
I have been trying to get my son to read Full Time Diary of a Part Time Indian. He won't because "mom" suggested it (he's 14).
That's actually one that's on my "still to read" list but I've been dying to get my hands on it - especially since I saw the review that described it as "more like listening to your smart, funny best friend recount his day while waiting after school for a ride home."
Perhaps if you just leave it hanging around the house but never mention it again?
Or say you've changed your mind, that the language and the content are probably a little too old for him?
;-)
Welcome, btw!
Post a Comment