I've got a fairly long commute to work and a sound system that speaks only radio or DVD. The local stations are hit or miss at best, and while I truly do believe in the healing power of music, my tastes vary with my mood, so I need variety.
I can burn discs but after a while, I'm bored with those, too.
I could keep a large selection on hand, I suppose, but somehow they end up on the floor of my car, rolling around and getting scratched and just generally aggravating me.
So what's a girl to listen to during her drive?
Well, I've turned my eye (ear? heart?) to podcasts.
They update frequently, I can drive, learn things, and be entertained all at once... SCORE!!
There are bunches of good sites out there but for my interests, I rely primarily on How Stuff Works and BBC 4. (I particularly enjoy the ones from the BBC, because at the end of each show, they read out their URLs and you get to smoosh up your mouth and try to say the word "podcast" along with them like you're British. This never fails to make me laugh at myself -- and my uncooperative lips.)
But I digress -- let's get back on track here...
Jz's favorite podcasts:
Stuff Mom Never Told You
From women's health to erotica to Afterschool Specials to monogamy, Caroline and Cristen investigate life in the domestic sphere. They're gender-issue aware and so may not be everyone's cup of tea, but they tend to unpack issues by asking the same sort of questions that I would, so I enjoy them. Just cross your fingers that you don't hear Cristen do her British accent... (trust me on this)
Stuff You Missed in History Class
People, places, shipwrecks, horses, houses, underwear... you name it.
All sorts of historical information you may never have heard of, or even thought about...
Stuff You Should Know
I've said before that I *heart* Josh and Chuck.
Their self-proclaimed goal is to have explained everything in the universe by the time they're done podcasting. Four years into it, they've discussed twinkies, jet lag, the sun, condoms, spam (the meat product), the Large Hadron Collider, zombies, grow houses, Stockholm syndrome - really, they cover a lot of ground! (And make me laugh pretty hard while doing so.)
From Our Own Correspondent
Here, BBC correspondents and reporters take current events and break out a small, human story behind the headlines. As the website says: "correspondents will often relate the unexpected: the day they visited the town that is crazy about trout fishing, attended a 40-course Chinese banquet, or swam with sharks, experienced zero gravity on a flight with Russian cosmonauts, went mud wrestling in Turkey or ballroom dancing in Cameroon." One of the things I most like about this show is that it reminds you that everyday life really is pretty much the same world over.
In Our Time
A round table discussion of topics in history, philosopy, culture, religion, and science, sometimes quite lively, always informative.
Witness
A kind of "On This Day...", Witness features 10-minute snippets of historical moments, as told by the people who lived them, through interview, archives, or written record. Kristalnacht to Manolo Blahnik, it's all fascinating stuff.
The Infinite Monkey Cage (and yes, we know who I'm looking at now!)
One of my absolute favorites, which they don't do NEARLY enough of, this is a "witty, irreverent look at the world according to science with physicist Brian Cox and comedian Robin Ince." Includes guest scientists, guest comedians, and a very lively audience,
(Who knew a particle physicist could have you rolling on the floor?!?)
If none of these interest you, there are plenty of other fish in the sea.
Tell me what you like, I love recommendations!

12 comments:
"On Being" (NPR)- although it isn't funny - and won't keep you awake - It's ideas i wouldn't stumble across otherwise.
"Dave Ramsey" is a good one to make you feel better. You can listen to him and his callers and realize you really don't have it so bad after all. LOL! Oh yeah...and get some good financial advice as well. :)
DV
O.o
(are those headlights coming my way?)
Hey, monkeys and nerds, the perfect combo.
The "Read it and Weep" guys are funny, if a bit juvenile. They review books - new and classics - and tv, movies, etc.
"This American Life" and Radiolab are my favorites.
Ooooh!
Excellent suggestions, thank you all!
Thanks for the suggestions! Here are some of my favorites: NPR's TED Radio Hour and Wait, Wait Don't Tell Me.
Thank you, sillyone!
And welcome!
Oooh oooh ooooh!
Love this list. Thanks.
Personally, I would love to do mud wrestling in Turkey. I would work up a huge appetite and get to consume fabulous Turkish-Mediterranean food. YUM!
-H
You know, I hadn't thought of that...
Book our tickets, willya? ;-p
Since my kids are grown, I don't have a resident connection to the current music scene, so I listen to the music podcasts from NPR - Bob Boilen and Robin Hilton. I've discovered a lot of new music through them. Also, Dan Savage at the Savage Lovecast. He's a no-holds-barred kind of guy and not to everyone's taste, but listening is usually enlightening experience. And then there's Car Talk, from NPR.
Ooo!
music and sex!
Thank you, ma'am!
Post a Comment