There’s this illustration that olivia likes to use, one that makes me wince each time I see it.
It’s pretty but somehow, this picture always gives me a serious case of the wistfuls. I look at it and inevitably feel pangs of Life Regret - which is a foolish amount of power to give to one little image, but there you have it.
She’s not a literal representation of unmet aspirations, of course.
(Except for the loveliness of near-perfect bone structure and the smokin’ bod - those, I’d take in a heartbeat. But otherwise… no.)
I might dream about a tattoo, but this is a bit overboard for my tastes (plus, they’re vaguely creepy); I am not a dreads kind of gal (even if I had the hair for it); and I’m really not a “Now, I shall place my hand just so and reflect upon this orb” sort of person… No, it’s not the actual representation that make me wistful.
I think it’s seeing a young woman who seems so comfortable following her own drummer.
I can do rugged individualism, no problem, but, oh, how I envy this imaginary woman-child the perceived sense of serenity on her path - because that is one thing that escapes me. She projects a confidence that everything is going turn out for the best - which hasn’t precisely been my experience. It’s usually “OK” - and I’ve managed a fairly equable acceptance of It All, but that’s more of a “it’s this or cry about it” kind of approach - not proper serenity at’all at’all.

6 comments:
My soon-to-be 20 year old daughter (god, typing that out makes me feel really old) is the embodiment of that pic. With a few minor sidesteps, she's definitely comfortable following the rhythmic beat of her own drummer.
Always a joy to see how she dresses/acts acts ever single day with all the brimming self confidence needed to confidently pull off what she does on a daily basie.
There are costs to following a different drummer and i've never met anyone who maintains serenity/self-assuredness at all times.
Rugged individualism goes a long way.
GB-
It's fun to watch, isn't it?
B-
Thank goodness, cuz I seem to have an adequate supply of it!
She seems to see a future with no thorns, just roses. That makes me wistful, too, because it's so unrealistic.
Now you are being silly and hurting yourself in body and spirit. This type of banal illustration is commonplace in the Fantasy Fiction section. As such,the image and the "if only" wistfulness it may provoke are ubiquitous and pedestrian, two qualifications incompatible with you, thus stunting your growth. So pass them by, they are understandable forgivable minor aspects of human existence.
That is not to say that the ephemeral in self attainment is not real. Contemplate that magic reality, not in the flatness of FF illustration, but in the fulness of the work of Leonora Carrington, Remedios Varo (personal favorite) and also Kiki Smith.
Love as ever
(BTW, "ubiquitous and pedestrian" reads synonymous to "cheap ass shit")
mm-
Now, there's a true statement, for sure. :-)
(sorry I was tardy with this response. My system got goofed up.)
Chère Anon-
I'm not sure why I thought you being in the middle of an ocean would keep me safe from scolding!
(Altho' being declared incompatible with "ubiquitous", "pedestrian", and "cheap ass shit" isn't really scolding, is it?) I'm not sure that I can agree that this small amount of generated wistfulness is stunting my growth, altho' I am always open to discussion. I am, however, delighted to get recommendations for artists previously Unknown To Me.
As always, you broaden my horizons, sweet P!
Post a Comment