I broke out my latest book with thoughts of doing a Whatcha Readin’ Wednesday, but got no farther than the epigraph before I went tumbling down a rabbit hole. So “Eleanor Oliphant” is on hold. First, come visit the bunnies with me…
The quotation that sent me onto this tangent was from Olivia Laing's “The Lonely City: Adventures in the Art of Being Alone” :
“Loneliness is hallmarked by an intense desire to bring the experience to a close; something which cannot be achieved by sheer willpower, or by simply getting out more, but only by developing intimate connections. This is far easier said than done… the lonelier a person gets, the less adept they become at navigating social currents… Loneliness is accretive, extending and perpetuating itself. Once it becomes impacted, it is by no means easy to dislodge”
And the bells rang.
You see, a while back, a number of bloggers had posted their thoughts on friendship. I didn't because I found I had trouble putting my thoughts together in a way that didn’t sound self-aggrandizing or patronizing. In the end, the entire post was put on ice until I could find a way around the Dutch uncle trying to hog the limelight. But these words of Ms. Laing… they hit at the heart of the thoughts I had been struggling to express, so I’m going to try again…
A lot of the posts during that phase seemed to be written from the perspective of “don’t have many friends and that’s ok” - and I get that, I really do. I’m almost too comfortable with my own company; know very few people whose interests cover the same range as mine; and am frequently a complete social misfit. (Particularly upon first acquaintance, when I tend to pingpong between too bashful to speak and so arrogant, it’s amazing nobody has ever smacked me.) Forming connections is a LOT more work than just staying insular.
BUT - I’ve also learned the hard way that no matter how comfortable I am alone, I still need some degree of social contact to keep me from turtling down into those small, comfortingly dark inner places - and once there, the longer I stay, the more daunting it is to come back out to the light of day. I become tentative and unsure, a bit scared to poke my head up. Alone will start off as a retreat but increasingly becomes an unwanted confinement. Been there, done that, still have the pitons needed to climb out of that pit…
It’s not easy to make friends, tho’, is it? Especially not as an adult, where 98% of the people you meet are already entrenched in their own existing circles and not particularly open to forming adjunct relationships. Again, I can understand. It takes effort to establish new connections and who has time for that when they’re already all booked up? When you are content, you don’t stop to think that maybe someday your marriage will break up, or your friends will move away (or worse) and your currently-sufficient circle will shrink. All you know is that “Eh, she seems nice but I just don’t have room/time right now.”
And even when you do find someone who seems open to forming a friendship, as a lonely person, you have to be on guard against that tendency to rush the intimacy level, lest you come off as desperate - which nobody wants to be either seen as, or pursued by.
What ended up working for me was when I eventually realized (or maybe accepted?) that “friend” does not have mean someone who’s close and compatible with every part of me. That’s the ideal, of course, but even “minor” friendships can serve to keep me feeling like a functioning member of humanity. Maybe my shopping buddy or pizza pal won’t turn into the deeper BFF type of relationship, but the smaller connections still serve to keep me open and receptive to people and possibilities. And like anything else in life, when you relax about something, it tends to get easier.
I dunno... that was a whole lot of words I just wrote.
Did any of them make sense, or did I miss the boat yet again?
Oh well. Using up the unpolished bits is what February Fragments are for…

9 comments:
I think loneliness and alone-ness are very different things; I have rarely experienced the former and often seek the latter.
But I am partnered with somebody who cannot handle either state of being, so I am sometimes.... surrounded... by him in such a way that I begin to long for "just me" time. So any kind of lone-state discomfort doesn't much happen for me because I'm not able to experience actually *being alone* -- and when I snatch an hour or two, I'm so grateful for the silence that I don't think much beyond that; I lose myself in a book or I take a nap or I just sit still and BE.
I think my default state is to be happy with my own company.
That said... Reading your post... I probably am too comfortable with my "social circle," even though it's quite small. Most of my 'friends' fit into the category of 'people I catch up with once a year' or are people I only do very specific things with (like go shopping -- which I haven't done as a group activity for over a year now). Is that because I'm not open to new friendships? Quite possibly - because I don't look for them - I have missed overtures people might have made in that direction. I'm not intentionally obtuse; I've just never been very aware of when other people are into me in any fashion (which has apparently frustrated some would-be suitors along the way).
I feel as though blogging friendships are a thing though. And while I am not particularly 'close' to people I read, I still feel an affinity. It's that whole *nodnodnod* "Somebody GETS it" thing. Which may not be 'real' friendship, but It's a connection. And connections stave off loneliness, yes?
A n y w a y
Lots to think about.
And yes, what you wrote makes perfect sense. :)
Hi Jz ... I certainly tend to keep to myself - and rarely open up ... but I have a good friends here - but let them stay their distance. I'm content ... and it's fine that way ... I have plenty of acquaintances, whom I can tap into ... all the best - Hilary
Yeah...friendships to me, are defined in a different way. But i have learnt that i do better with some people, than no people, outside of my people. Blogging friends are kind of in a whole different category, lol.
But Eleanor Oliphant? Oh, how i did not like this book-it was a bookclub one. Curious to know what you thought of it, when you get to it.
(And i can't think of one time, where your words haven't made sense. You ramble very well)
totally made sense. I have a few friends I consider close to me, they're the same group I have over whenever it's birthday time.
i have some others that are "specific" use friends. It sounds bad, but they're there and I suppose I'm also a specific use friend to them.
Whatever it is, I think as long as both parties are comfortable with their level of friendship, that's all that matters.
And yes, I need my alone time too and maybe if i'm there too long i may get lonely, but i haven't had the chance to test this out. I'm often surrounded by too many goings-on.
Mum moving in with me has definitely contributed to THAT.
Feve-
Once again, I have a LOT of thoughts on this… far too many for just a comment, so I’ll be brief.
Yes, loneliness and alone-ness are definitely two different things. Being surrounded by the wrong people is far lonelier than being by yourself… but being alone can contribute to loneliness, as well. And certainly, my experience as a perpetually-single woman is going to be different from those of you with partners and offspring. I’m able to get enough alone time to satisfy my need for space and actually get to the point where I’d like to talk to another human being. (I won’t lie, this takes days, but it does happen.)
I absolutely agree that connection, even cyber-connection, is a real thing, however.
It’s certainly saved my bacon at times.
(And I’m glad I made sense! Thanks.)
H-
I think there’s useful value in simply knowing you have friends, even if you don’t connect with them. Knowing there’s someone there if you choose to reach out is comforting.
B-
I will not lie - I could not finish Eleanor Oliphant. I started it with high hopes but I hated the direction the plot took. Since COVID disbanded my book club, I have decided that life is too short to force myself to finish books I am not enjoying, so you’ll likely not hear anything further on Eleanor from me.
:-D
(and thank you for thinking I make sense!)
F-
“Specific use friends” may *sound* a bit bad but it’s a real thing. I have friends I shop well with and others whose browsing style makes me insane. I could not possibly travel with one of my dearest friends, but there are others with whom it works like a dream. I think it’s important to recognize that no one person is likely to check all the boxes. (Much as with beaux.)
And like anything else in life, when you relax about something, it tends to get easier.
Remember your own words when contemplating several topics of our conversation today
Oooh!
Brat.
You captured the topic quite well.
mm-
Thank you, my friend. :-)
Post a Comment