Sunday, February 14, 2021

Be My Pandemic Valentine

It's been a weird-ass year no matter how you look at it, full of much that disappoints me about humanity. But today is dedicated to love, so let us have no stories of disappointment. Instead, I give you a tale of surpassed expectations - because this is the story of the year with my Dom.


Now, BG & I don’t have a perfect relationship by any means. We mean a lot to each other but we have a long history of never managing to be on the same page at the same time. Frankly, if you had asked me last Christmas where we’d be in 2021, I would have expressed doubt that he & I would make it that far. If you’d asked me just after Covid-19 took center stage, I would have sworn to you that this would be the final nail in our coffin. I really thought pandemic life would break us.


Yet here we are, a year later. Life in a pandemic has taken its toll, of course. He & I see each other rarely, go through phases of how well we stay in touch, and have suffered some inevitable drift as a result, yet somehow, we’ve also ended up a lot stronger. Which may seem oxymoronic, depending on how you determine the strength of your relationship, but I stand by it. We’ve shifted and changed but we’ve also learned to recognize (and relax into) just how strong our connection is.


We may yet part… but it won’t be because we broke.

Which is a realization we might never have reached without covid to test us.


Altho' I'm not sure this knowledge is worth not being able to be in the same room together...



Because this kind of remote teasing just doesn’t have the same impact as, 

well, actual impact.


6 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jz - in some ways I'm just glad I'm on my own ... but fun take on life in another household! All the best - Hilary

selkie said...

The one thing about life - and expectations - is no matter how much we THINK we know the outcome of choices, we bloody never DO and life manages to throw a curve in that sometimes is good and sometimes not so good. On this day of love, I'm glad your curveball hit a home run! And yes, there are always new games coming up- but we have to remember to embrace the one we're in right now!!

Mrs Fever said...

Oh, I'll bet your envelope-licking is hot Hot HOT stuff!

And y'know... Sometimes life's little surprises throw us, but when we're tossed in the air like that, there's no reason not to try flying!

And um... What does BG stand for? I keep trying to work this out. Like, is it the BFG minus the F? Bad Guy? Bald Gnome? Brilliantly Gorgeous? Baltimore Grouse? I mean, the possibilities are endless...

olivia said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Jz!! I love this post. You have really been through some stuff together, and I'm so glad you've been able to stay connected. 💜

messymimi said...

It's amazing that sometimes a bit of distance brings closeness, and less is more. It can happen.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Jz said...

H-
Since I’m largely on my own… (just not completely so), I can easily see your point. :-)

s-
Oh yeah. That was one of my big life lessons after my mom died. I was talking with Dad, who sighed and said, “You think you have life figured out but you never do. It always throws you a curve ball.”
But… you never know what that curve ball will be, so go can’t go around avoiding everything, lest it fail, can you? We just do our best.

Feve-
Thank you, sunshine.
BG is Busy Guy. (Altho’ I like some of your alternates!)
When he & I first met, he was working 50+ hours a week, traveling for his job, and going for his masters. It’s not so bad now but it seems unfair to change his name midway through. (SP is Scholarly Professor, in case you’re curious.)
For the first couple of years of this blog, I kept a cast of characters posted on the side but I gave that up during The First Breakup and it’s never made it back.

o-
We have, haven’t we? And few know that better than you.
But we’ve also got something, so that’s the balance. :-)
Yy

mm-
Relationships are just plain bizarre - but when they work, they’re lovely. :-)