Once upon a time, during a very difficult period in my life, I told someone that I couldn't see my way forward; that happiness, even simple contentment, seemed impossibly distant and unreachable.
My friend suggested that I not look that far ahead, but just limit my focus to no farther than two feet in front of me and let time do the rest...
Fast forwarding to the present, you've probably gathered that it's been a little rough around here lately. Initially, I was just plain numb, which, whatever else you may say about it, does make it easier to go through the motions. Now, however, the numbness is starting to wear off and things are getting a bit rocky.
So my plan is to follow that advice once more -- to put my head down, look no farther than the front of my toes, pretend my life has not gone to hell in a handbasket, and forge ahead...
What I'm actually hoping, of course, is that I'll blunder smack into something hard, knock myself out, and remain sprawled unconscious on the ground until the system reset is complete.
(C'mon, if anyone can do it... ;-p)
Wish me luck!!

7 comments:
It wouldn't be such a brilliant plan for someone else, (okay, it might work pretty well for me, but there would surely be a trip to the ER) but I think this plan is actually quite solid! Just don't break anything that's attached to your body.
*Shoulder bump*
I really do hope things get better soon.
Metaphors and platitudes aside, because those are too easy to offer - I think this is a real and really hard time you are in - and you are absolutely right - you really do just need to keep taking one step forward at a time. Glance up every once in awhile to get your bearings and make course corrections - but your plan sounds - wise, not easy, but wise. I do hope the travelling gets easier soon.
l-
"while unsound for most, this would probably work quite well for you..."
;-p
(I know what you mean, I'm just teasing.)
I'll try not to break anything attached to my body, but it's hard to lose the habit of a lifetime... (toes, fingers, hand, arm, skull...)
and thank you, cutes. *bump*
gg-
Platitudes are easy to offer, but difficult to hear. Thank you for avoiding them at the moment.
:-)
I sort of think you actually need to have an idea where you're going before you can really make course corrections, but I take your point.
thanks, sunshine.
My favorite movie heroine?
Dory.
Just keep swimming Chica.
lm-
don't know her - but I can swim.
:-)
But I LOVE platitudes. there there, it will all be over in a little while. Or how 'bout...go have a good cry, you'll feel better for it. Hmmm...okay, how about...oh....God never closes a door without opening a window...? (Okay I do like that last one subbing in goddess but...)...okay, I see that platitudes are just annoying and gratuitous. Forget I tried to apply them! I hate for my friends to be unhappy. I wish there was a magic thing I could do but (rut roe...platitude warning..) time does heal. The process is NOT fun, NOT easy, not particularly virtuous. IT's just something one has to get through. If that means one foot in front of the other with frequent pauses to contemplate your naval...(navel? I think the other one refers to boats...) (yeah but some sailors are hubba hubba --but I digress)...
anyway...
know that I'm here if you need to bitch or rail or stomp your feet (but not ON mine, mind you.)...or just say 'how's the weather down there...?"
Sending hugs and stopping the platitude leakage...
nilla
yes...i said hugs...I can only damm up one flow at a time and those platitudes are *heavy*....
n-
Or my personal favorite, "Men are like buses..."
I'm giving up public transport, thanks very much.
Post a Comment