Wednesday, February 26, 2014

A Brief Literary Question


     "There was Shield Sheafson, scourge of many tribes, 
     a wrecker of mead benches, rampaging among foes.
     This terror of the hall-troops had come far.
     A foundling to start with, he would flourish later on
     as his powers waxed and his worth was proved.
     In the end each clan on the outlying coasts 
     beyond the whale-road had to yield to him
     and begin to pay tribute. That was one good king."
                                 -Beowulf - trans. Seamus Heaney



So…

Think he's a Dom?

;-D

(I have a hard time deciding which of those phrases I like the best. Love this translation!)

5 comments:

sin said...

definitely a Dom. And it's too early to think of anything witty to say...






nilla said...

You are far too literary for my brain today. Sorry--You are just THAT intelligent. I'm currently rolling around in my head with a nasty porno story...so I'm useless when it comes to "good" writing, I'm afraid. :D

nilla

Anonymous said...

Of course he was a Dom, and I agree about the translation. It's what you get when a great work of epic poetry is translated by a true poet, and not a just languages professor.

Anonymous said...

He's an alpha male, and an epic hero, so - yeah. Good chance. It is a wonderful translation. - jcn

Jz said...

s-
wit before wakefulness is a dangerous thing anyhow.
best to wait til you've had enough coffee…

n-
oh, pish!
don't go making me sound all pointy-headedly noble.
any right-thinking person would be preoccupied with the porn.
(I'm just ashamed I'm not one of them.)

lm-
yes.
altho' I hate to make it sound like I'm dissing anyone who tackles translating this stuff. It's hard!

dear person who I'm uncertain how to address-
It is a terrific translation, indeed.

and welcome! :-)