Tuesday, February 4, 2014

In Which I Do The Fish Thing

So, I read this comment that really hit home... 
"I cannot get over feeling that men like me despite my looks, rather than for them."

     and it took me off on a mental ramble to not that long ago...

See, I completely understand that feeling. 
I've accepted for years that men don't date me for my looks.
(I'm not saying I'm beat with an ugly stick but no one has been left sockless, either, 'k?)

This opinion has been a bone of contention between me and SP for nearly as long as I've held it. I can't seem to convey that being "adequate" is not the same thing as "dated for"...
Usually, we end by agreeing to disagree.
He won the last round, however, by stunning me into silence…

    Jz: You just say I'm attractive cuz you know me and love me...
    SP: But how did I get to know and love you????????
    SP: hmm?
    SP: hmmm??
    SP: hmmmmmmm????
    Jz: I dazzled you with my wit, of course!
    SP: wit schmit
    SP: It was your legs, tits, and dazzling kisses
    SP: plus those extremely agile hands...
    Jz: wow. … "dazzling kisses"?
    SP: truly
    Jz: oh

Mind you, "legs, tits, and kisses" are still not at all the same thing as "being dated for looks", so this was actually a fairly sneaky deflection -- but I was too busy blinking and gaping nonplussedly to proceed with a cogent argument at the time…

Portrait of the Blogger as Fish

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get this... completely. I'm not selling myself short. I am being a realist.

I'll be interacting with a man, having fun, and I can see the sexual interest cross their face, and then shock, when they realize how attracted they are. There's no ugly stick here, either, just plain and chubby. I think of myself as the book with the plain brown cover.

Jz said...

lm-
I'm liking the analogy. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'll concede the kisses. However, legs and tits solidly fit in the looks department even if it is not the only dept in which they have a place.

Jz said...

I'm too busy gloating over the concession to worry about the trivialities of your further arguments...!
:-*