It's not my plan to make Throwback Thursday a regular thing, but I see it coming in handy when a topic arises that I've already said my piece about, even if the original post is lost in the mists of time.
So, we were talking about flirting.
Here's what I had to say about it back in November of 2009...
***************************************************
This isn't particularly related to this thing we do but I was thinking the other day about the lost art of flirting. I'm not sure if the loss is due to fear of harassment claims, if it's an unfortunate step-child of feminism, or just (my fear) part of the general decline of social mores but, whatever the cause, very few people flirt well anymore. And I for one feel the loss.
I'm not talking about heavy-handed sexual innuendo, or impertinent comments. Flirting is neither sexual nor vulgar. Rather, flirting is a fun exchange that lifts the participant's spirits. Flirting in the proper sense is nothing but a light-hearted expression of appreciation. It's a delicate, nuanced approach that opens the door to an acquaintance, not a bedroom.
Nor does flirting have to be restricted to your gender of choice. One of the most proficient flirts I've ever had the pleasure to watch was an old-school Eastern European woman. Her flirting could charm the pants off almost any man but she was equally adept at using it to make another woman relax and feel welcomed. Flirting was simply her way of saying, "How very nice to see you!"
But, alas, our understanding of social niceties has become muddled.
Even though I'm a tech and a devoted blogger, I blame the internet for much of this.
For one thing, any bonehead can post "advice" and some fool will follow it. My online dating site has posted a list of Top Ten Ways To Flirt With A Man. It includes "Use suggestive language."
First off, NO! That's not flirting. Flirting hints, it doesn't beat you on the head with a 2 x 4.
Secondly, Yuck! Suggestive with a total stranger? I think not. I'll keep my self-respect, thank you very much.
But even more to the point, the distance inherent in online relationships has loosened the strictures of etiquette. Interpersonal skills have gone down the toilet as people spend less and less time looking into the eyes of the person they're addressing. Instead, we invest our time in interactions with people we wouldn't know if we stepped on. (Like us!)
In one way, this is good because that distance shields us and allows us to speak our minds more freely. But in another way, it's quite harmful. We are not vested in the relationship, so there is no fear of embarrassment or censure. In fact, it's easy to forget that the person we're addressing is a living, breathing human with (hello?!) feelings. It fosters a de-humanization that can result in stunning rudeness.
(Never by US, however!)
I am saddened by the decline of civility. But I truly mourn the passing of flirting.
9 comments:
I'll drink to this.
But... but I always leave a little to the imagination when I send dick pics!
I often whine about the fact that Eric travels so much but I must say, because we spend a lot of time on the phone (talking and texting), we have the flirt thing down. It's truly an art form - foreplay from afar, my hubby is a fabulous flirt. :)
Amy
Hi Jz - I so agree with you ... long may civility and flirting continue - love Amy's comment ... but everything's too rushed now, with not enough time to become friends - cheers Hilary
Okay but even this kind of fliriting-makes me horribly uncomfortable (stop paying attention to me, stop engaging with me, leave me over here drinking my coffee in my jadded bubble).
Yet...my mate is stellar at it.
Flirting can be such fun, and done right, it can make someone feel appreciated.
F-
*clinks glass*
T-
Tom, Tom, Tom…
FLIRTING, not flaunting…
*sigh*
What am I going to do with you, Tom?
;-p
A-
How fun!
That’s almost worth some absence, right there.
(Yes, I know you don’t agree - I’m speaking from the abstract.)
H-
Yep - old school’s not all bad, at all.
:-D
B-
Well, if it makes you uncomfortable, then no, you shouldn’t be doing it.
Like, really.
But discomfort is a different scenario than either not bothering with the niceties or, much worse, confusing flirtation with sexual comehitherance. (Is too a word! My blog, my definitions!)
However, I do need to tactfully point out that you can’t hate it all *too* badly if your flirt of a beloved won your heart! ;-p
mm-
That it is!
And that it can!
Send me in, coach!
FLIRTING, not flaunting…
Ooops.
Okay, seriously, I have never sent a dick pic. And as a guy, I'm also a bit sad about the slow death of flirtation. I mostly engage in the drive-by - a wink or off-hand comment with a salesgirl or phone rep or something. And it's funny that it still gets a reaction from middle-aged women, but not so much from younger ones, which suggests that they don't really know how to take it.
And I also get a kick from women in their 50s and up calling me "Hon" or "Sweetheart" or similar things, even on business calls.
T-
Yeah, I'd pretty much drop my teeth if you'd ever sent a dick pic. You have too much class for that, my friend.
I do NOT, however, have any trouble at ALL imagining you as a flirt! ;-p
(In the best possible sense of the word.)
Those young'uns just don't know what they're missing!
Post a Comment