Sunday, July 29, 2018

Beating the Dog Days of Summer

 
          Hotter than the sands of Vulcan?
         check! √

          Icy-cold rehydrating solution?
          check! √

          Protective insulation?
          check! √


          Your logic is exemplary!


Fascinating Factoid for the day…

The dog days of summer are the hottest, most oppressive days of the summer. The ancient Greeks noticed that these days would occur during the time that Sirius, the Dog Star, rose and set with the sun, and theorized that the bright star was adding extra heat to the earth.

3 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jz - seems to be the way it is - I venture out when necessary ... and for a brief foray into the afternoon sun ... but the rest - just taking care of things. I need to look at the Dog Star scenario more closely ...

Enjoy the summer time! Cheers Hilary

messymimi said...

Hope you are finding plenty of ways to keep cool.

Jz said...

H-
I thought the dog star explanation was kind of neat. I've known the expression but had never bothered to look up the etymology of it before.

mm-
Thank you. So far, I'm pretty much just avoiding anything that requires exertion.
Like cooking, cleaning, yardwork, exercise... ;-D