Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Zero Left

Hidden in a corner of My Perfect World’s perfectly downsized (yet somehow perfectly uncrowded) home, there is going to be a big ol’ Zinc sink.

Not just because that’s a lot of fun to say ( C’mon, try it! “zinc sink, zinc sinc, zink sink”…) but because those suckers are marvelously useful. There was one in our utility room when I was a kid and it always had something or other sitting or soaking in it… 

However, when Dad renovated that room (after Mom was no longer around to protest,) he yanked that puppy off the wall, hauled it outside, and smashed it to bits. (Bits that I still periodically find with my bare feet, can I just mention.)

It was a wanton and callous sink destruction that impacts me to this day, because I’ve never found an adequate single alternative that can handle all the things that got done in that sink.

They are heavy, they are not always particularly pretty, but my heavens are they utilitarian!
And I’m going to have one.

Except mine won't be ugly.
*nod, nod*

12 comments:

Mrs Fever said...

Ouch! Finding bits of broken sink with your bare feet sounds quite un-fun!

This perfect-world tiny house of yours is going to have magical qualities, I think. That's how everything (everything but the kitchen sink?) will fit! ;)

Liz A. said...

I wonder why he got rid of it with such obvious disdain. One does not smash random sinks unless there's a story there. I would hope...

Arlee Bird said...

That brought back memories. We had at least one sink like that in houses in which I grew up. I recall one being in a laundry room. They could be mighty functional.

And so another A to Z comes to a close. You did well. Thanks for being a part of it.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

messymimi said...

These used to be common around here, in fact, in NOLA, many people still say zinc instead of sink.

Congratulations on getting through the A to Z!

Rob Z Tobor said...

Not sure when or if I have seen Zink Sinks in the UK. My memory is rubbish which was one of the reasons I started my blog in the first place. Nothing quite like turning everyday life into a weird story to remember things.

But now we have all finished the A to Z, so we can cheer pull the plug out of that zink sink and let the water cascade all over our feet due to a plumbing error. Thanks for passing by and all the very best for the year ahead. Next years A to Z will I hope end with a rather posh Zink Sink fitted. . .

Rob Z Tobor

Baker said...

That is one practical sink!
--Baker

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jz - I couldn't agree more ... having had to live in Canada without an outside/utility type sink ... a zinc sink is a necessity in life - good for you for getting one and great Z! ... cheers Hilary

Red said...

I am not familiar with the term "zinc sink". Is it made of zinc? It looks like a utility sink, to me. Now I'm so confused! You say other sinks can't handle what the zinc sink can. You mean compared to porcelain? Or because of the size?

I think your final picture looks lovely, however. Not an ugly addition to a kitchen!

julie said...

Never seen a kink sink, but I kind of love that modern one. You've made it to the end in style again xx

Jz said...

Mrs. F-
Yes! I know *I* certainly think of it as magical! :-D

L-
Actually, those things are miserably heavy and this was before the day of “put it out by the road - someone will take it.” (At least in our neck of the woods.) Smashing it up was simply the best way of getting it out of here. (Minus the tiny bits still left in the lawn.) :-)

AB-
They were ugly, but great.
Thank your for stopping by (and for starting such a fun challenge!)

mm-
I wonder if they spell it “zinc” or “zink”…? ;-p
Congrats back at’cha, sunshine.

RZT-
They were everywhere here in days gone by - not as easy to find now, however.
(And please whisper when you mention plumbing errors - that’s a touchy subject in this house!)
Cheers!

B-
It is, indeed.
*sigh*
:-)

H-
Great minds, Hilary! ;-D
Thanks for popping in and out.

R-
It is a utility sink made of zinc, yes — and it’s both size and material that makes it so utilitarian, so you got both of those, too! (You are acing this quiz!)
That last one IS pretty, tho’, isn’t it? I immediately sighed and dreamt…

j-
Thank you!

Dyanne @ I Want Backsies said...

I do like me a big ol' sink. Having one of those farm style sinks would be a dream! As it is, I have to settle for a good sized stainless steel sink, but at least I can fit big pans in there to soak, unlike those worthless double sinks.

Congrats on making it through the A to Z! I was really going to do it this year, then bugged out before I signed up. Next year....

Jz said...

D-
Yeah, I have a worthless double sink and am not all that impressed by the fact... I don't totally hate it, but I also don't think that's what I'll be getting when I move into that perfect world. :-)

I was wondering if I'd see you this year.
I'm very glad you followed along anyhow, tho'. Thanks!