Friday, April 19, 2019

Quashed

Q, as so often happens, was kind of a stumper.
I had been planning to attend Quebec’s Winter Carnaval - which still sounds interesting - but I looked at some pictures and they all appear sufficiently jam-packed with humanity that I couldn’t quite justify “perfect world” status. (Not particularly a crowd gal.) So it’s been downgraded to “that might be fun if the opportunity comes up…” and no longer really fits in this list.

Nope. Sorry.
Pretty but we're not going there...
Which left me with a dearth of Q s and sent me back to my dictionary, *flippety-flip*, browsing and scolding myself for being such a flibbertigibbet. Not that it’s a big deal to simply change one’s mind, but that kind of quick flip of the switch is fairly emblematic of much of my life. I’ll have a goal and lofty plans for some wonderful thing that I’m going to do, then a minor detail comes along, bugs the pants off of me, and next thing I know, I’m stepping over the detritus of that agenda as I move on to the next plan.

In my My Perfect World, I’ll be somewhat less Quixotic.


quixotic
1: foolishly impractical, especially in the pursuit of ideals
    marked by rash lofty romantic ideas or extravagantly chivalrous action

2: capricious, unpredictable

9 comments:

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jz - I can't stand crowds either ... so quite understand that quashing. Quixotic can be fun sometimes! Cheers Hilary

Dubs said...

Quixotic is your quiddity? No quips about one's quim?

Sorry! That's most of my q-words gone. Anyway, Q's scan poorly!

Rob Z Tobor said...

Well I finally got here after you very kindly commented on my Blog. . . Phew. I say Phew because I have had a very busy day. Its my own fault I think up all these interesting projects in my head and then my poor old battered body has to undertake them and it's not always happy about it. I think the A to Z was a sort of OOooooo whats this then I'll have a go and I tend to keep doing it now.

I too an a person who is not so keen on crowds. In fact I dont go to crowded places these days. One advantage of living in a somewhat rural community is that I can get away with only having to chat to the cat most days.

Brett Minor said...

I used Quixotic in my post today also.

Crowds never bothered me until I moved to Beijing. Over the course of a few months, the constant shoulder to shoulder crowds started to get to me. I found myself having mild panic attacks on the subways or overly crowded sidewalks.

It still affects me today, but I am really packed into small places with 29,000 people any more.

Red said...

I learned to maneuver through crowds while growing up in Asia. I don't mind so much, but I think it helps that I'm tall. As long as I can see over people around me, I don't feel like I'm suffocating.

Dyanne @ I Want Backsies said...

Quixotic? That's just qwazy!

messymimi said...

Don Quixote had some interesting ideals. Perhaps in your perfect world you are a bit less quixotic, but you haven’t given it up totally.

Brett Minor said...

CORRECTION: I am rarely packed into small places with 29,000 people any more.

There. That makes more sense.

Jz said...

H-
We’ll sit on a quiet balcony somewhere and watch from a distance, how’s that? :-)

D-
Point to you on quiddity!
(I’m skipping blithely past the rest. ;-p)

R Z T-
Welcome!
I did sound like your day was busy, indeed - but I enjoyed reading about it!
I have no cat, so I chat online. :-)

B-
Well, since crowds make me drained and irritable at the best of times - I have no trouble imagining that progressing into claustrophobia. (And don’choo worry - I knew what you meant and went with it - but I understand the need to correct…)

R-
As another tall person, I get that. Altho’ sometimes seeing over the heads yet being unable to move makes me feel even more strangulated. Mostly tho’, I just want people out of my personal space!

D-
I do wonder sometimes… ;-D

mm-
I did dither over whether or not there was a way to add, “yet not lose the ability completely”… but decided that indecision didn’t add much to my thesis! ;-p