I think I’ve mentioned before that when I was a kid, I really, really, really wanted to be an archaeologist - and the land I wanted to work was in Egypt. So when it came time to put together the list of features for my perfect world, I had a problem. A for Archaeology, E for Egypt, G for Giza, L for Luxor, M for Mummies, P for Pyramids… you see the difficulty. I was awash in far-too-like topics.
So I sat and looked and thought. I had to evaluate all the possibilities and prioritize them, determining which was the ONE thing I wanted above all others.
It wasn’t easy but I finally did pare the options down to one single adventure - which, happily, allows me to include all of these side adventures, as well:
The Pyramids, the Sphinx, the Valley of the Kings, and Memphis
The Egyptian Museum, Citadel Mosques, and Coptic Churches
The Temple of Philae in Aswan
The temples at Karnak and Luxor
SCORE!!
Yep, in My Perfect World, I’ll be Riding a Riverboat up the Nile.
But not a big fancy-schmantzy one. No, no. It will be a vintage 1930’s steam paddler, à la Murder on the Nile. I shall recline gracefully upon a deck chair, fanning myself gently as Egypt slips lazily past. I will undoubtedly sweat and gripe about the heat during the odd moments when I’m not enthralled by everything I can clap my eyes on… but it will be SO worth it!
![]() |
| If you squint, I'm sure you can see me up there under the awning... |

7 comments:
If the boat says "African Queen" on it, don't get on
If it has Humphrey Bogart on it, I'm getting on!
Are you familiar with Elizabeth Peters? If not... Given your Egyptian inclinations, you might like to check out her Amelia Peabody books. ;)
It would not disappoint, that is for sure.
D-
Words to consider, for sure...
a_k-
Then throwing away the gangplank so no one else can join you? ;-)
Mrs. F-
I am, yes. I read the series up to the point when Ramses is about 7, then drifted away. I've actually been thinking of revisiting them, as it's been years... :-D
mm-
That's kind of how I'm figuring it, yes. :-)
My brother has taken a boat along the Amazon several times. NOt the Nile, but close.
B-
Different kind of romance to it, but danged long river.
Partial credit...! ;-p
Post a Comment