Thursday, April 4, 2019

Difficult Decisions

I was torn on my D topic because I came up with two D things I’d really like to include… and which are sort of mutually exclusive. Well, to my mind at least…

You see, in my perfect world, I will Downsize. 
Currently, in my imperfect existence, I am living in the house where I grew up, playing curator to every last bit of jewelery, furniture, kitchen gadgetry, and manly tools that my folks accumulated in their 50-80 years of life. Plus photographs. Not to mention a few odds and ends from Grandma & Grandpa's house, too. 

All of which is stuff that my brother & I are meant to split… if I could ever get him to say we can actually get rid of something. Generally, it’s “if you don’t want it, I’ll take it - just hang onto it for me until I get a chance to pick it up.” (Which, btw, he has been saying since 1977… but ask me how much has ever left the building…!)

Besides the heirlooms, I’ve also got rooms full of anything my brother ever owned in the first 18 years of his life, as well as all the stuff Dad stored for him after that. (Did I mention he hasn’t lived here for over 50 years?)

And that’s just his stuff…

Sadly, I also inherited the pack-rat gene. If you peek into the other rooms, you’d find a HECK of a lot of books, computers, dressers, dinnerware, and pottery, as well. The only up side is that as a single woman living in a family-size house, I at least have enough room that I’m not likely to find myself evicted from a condemned dwelling any time soon. If you don’t leave the common areas, you’d never know there was a problem!

But there IS a problem, and I’m tired of it. 
I dream of pitching it all and moving into a tiny home. Or at least, a very small one. I don’t mind if there is an actual basement with foundations, rather than a trailer hitch - I just want a whole lot less STUFF to have to take care of.

For example

Except…

My perfect world also includes a Dog…


…and dogs need yards to romp in. I refuse to turn into one of those people who gets a dog, coops it up inside all day, and then pays thousands of dollars to a doggie psychiatrist to explain why Fido chews all the furniture. Saying No to that.

dog/downsize, dog/downsize…

I think I am going to have to think a little more about my D-esires

13 comments:

olivia said...

Oh, I can so relate to this! Sorting and discarding is SO hard - and moving will totally make you do it. Couldn't you have a tiny house with a big yard for the dog?

messymimi said...

When you retire, tiny house trailer and you and the dog cross the country. Tell brother you are out of there!

As to the Scrubbing Bubbles, i give you the usual disclaimer of test in an inconspicuous area first (like inside a closet).

Jz said...

o-
I'm sure I could but I don't really want the upkeep of a large yard, either. I'm currently taking care of 2 acres - I want postage stamp!

mm-
I've dreamed about it, for sure.
And don't worry, I've already told BookMan exactly that - "Start in a small, dark corner to test."
But we seriously were just discussing methods Monday evening...

ancilla_ksst said...

I could never have a tiny home, not even after the kids leave, because I need LOTS of dogs. I have 5 now, and that is fewer than I've had some times. With one small dog you could give it enough exercise just with regular walks, but with a bunch, a fenced yard is a need.

Jz said...

a_k-
Five is a lot, my friend.
Not as large at a farm as it would be at my house, but still - that's a lot of doggie love. (Which is a good thing!)

Bleue D'âme said...

Keep the house...coz you're right! Dog could totally go there.
Get the dog.
Ditch the stuff :-P
And lucky bro.

Jz said...

B-
If only it were that easy, my friend.
But it's a lovely dream, isn't it? :-)

Mike said...

I need to work on downsizing!

Jz said...

M-
I hope you're more successful than I've been to date!
(And if so, please let me know how you did it. ;-p)

p.s. Nice to see you again. :-)

Dyanne @ I Want Backsies said...

SAAAAAAME! My husband never wants to throw anything away, my kids don't, my dad doesn't, and some day I WILL BE STUCK WITH ALL OF IT AND TOO MUCH GUILT TO GET RID OF ANY OF IT.

Jz said...

D-
The fact that a lot of it triggers memories makes it even worse.
But yes, guilt.

Shall we split the cost of a load of dynamite?

Arti said...

And the reason I couldn't commit to A to Z this year is because I started organizing my photos and writing in March and got hopelessly lost and muddled! Ha! Ha!
I can feel your pain Jz.
Downsizing looks lovely when Marie Kondo is doing it on a TV screen.
It's a beast in reality...but I'm told it can be tamed...here's hoping.

Jz said...

A-
Oooh! If you come up with any secret tricks, please remember your friends!
I'd wondered about you taking a break this year - but I also know what a pain in the tuckus it can be, so no judgement here!
I'm just glad to see you. :-D