Saturday, April 6, 2019

Fancy Footwork

So while I’m going all sportif-ish on your asses anyhow, (with all those arrows and such) here’s another thing I’ll be doing in my perfect world:

Fencing.

I’m not sure if it’s my inner swashbuckler or what, but I’ve always thought that fencing just looks like a blast. Particularly if you get to fence à la Inigo Montoya and Westley, with meticulous advances and magnificent, lightning-fast engagements.


Altho’ I’ll admit, stirring tho’ those heroic lunges and energetic encounters may be, what I am particularly drawn to is the cat and mouse of it all… The precise choreography of advances and retreats - all performed with consummately superb posture and a large pointy object waved dismissively in front of your opponent’s face.

I just think that looks VERY satisfying.

Of course, all of the above is the perfect world version of how I’d fence.
Reality would undoubtedly look a lot more like this:

11 comments:

Mrs Fever said...

I've always loved that Princess Bride scene! "I'm not left-handed either..." :P

ancilla_ksst said...

That's probably my favorite movie.

messymimi said...

It does look adventurous, and while i was not bad at judo, i think fencing would be totally beyond me.

Red said...

Fencing now makes me think of Game of Thrones. Just one part in the first season, when a character is learning swordplay in a unique way.

Jz said...

Mrs. F-
"Who ARE you?"
:-)

a_k-
You and BG. (and likely a few others...) :-D

mm-
Yes - it looks so cool but when I try to envision it realistically, there's a lot of tripping going on.

R-
I'm going to have to get around to watching that some day, if only for the purposes of cultural literacy!

Holly Jahangiri said...

My son's a fencer. It's a fun sport. I'd actually try it, but the thought of sweating under all that gear just kills me.

As for that video, aren't you supposed to fall on your OWN sword, if you can't win the match?

Jz said...

H-
Yeah, and there's the little matter of claustrophobia with the head gear...

(Perhaps at that point, any sword was looking good to fall upon...?)

Mike said...

Fencing looks neat! The Princess Bride is a classic!

Jz said...

M-
It is indeed a classic.
AND the source of many excellent quotes. :-)

Dyanne @ I Want Backsies said...

If it's not real stabbing, then I don't think I'm interested....

Jz said...

D-
I was very glad not to be drinking coffee the moment I read that...
:-D