Wednesday, March 22, 2017

What'cha Readin' Wednesday?

Persuasion.
   Again.
       Because it’s just that good.

Persuasion is my favorite of Austen’s books… has been ever since I first read it years ago. (And you don’t even want to know how many times I’ve sighed along with Amanda Root as Ciarán Hinds gives her the cold shoulder. Pure magic, that movie…)

I suppose you could accuse me of liking it just because true love wins out, even after years of taking a beating… and I doubt I could mount a credible defense if you did. This story does appeal to the sappy inner optimist in me, for sure. 

But I also simply like Anne Elliott a great deal. She’s not spunky in the same way as Emma Woodhouse or Elizabeth Bennet - there’s not a lot of flippancy or sass - yet she surely has more than enough courage and determination for all of them put together. (OK, Elinor Dashwood is right up there, too, but I’m too distracted by my desire to smack Marianne to enjoy Sense and Sensibility as much as I do Persuasion.) There is just something about the way that Anne deals with life that appeals to me. She learns from her mistakes, has the patience of Job, and, while accommodating where she must, is also determined not to undervalue herself by acting against her own beliefs any further.
It’s a story of someone coming into her own - I think that’s the appeal for me.

Of course, this book is also rich in the gentle humor that underlies all of Austen’s works but here the mood feels mellower, with greater depth. Not to mention that it’s simply awash with great lines. (This woman has the art of penetrating insight down to a science, I tell you.)

Currently, I’m enjoying this gem:


But there are plenty of the non-mopey variety, too, I promise! ;-p

Maybe you have a favorite quote of your own?

2 comments:

selkie said...

Persuasion is MY favourite Austen novel as well! and I TOO despise that little bitch Marianne. I do NOT like Emma, neither the novel nor the film as I simply find her too shallow and unlikeable a character (although like you I am very fond of Elinor Dashwood). Pride and Prejudice is a definite rainy day read (and I actually picked up - and enjoyed - to an extent) a few novels which sought to explore the story of the Bennets thereafter (yes, I admit it - even Pride and Prejudice and Zombines) LOL.

Jz said...

s-
Yet another reason I love you - your sound judgement! ;-p
I can't stand Emma, either. (Altho' I have been persuaded into second viewings of the 1996 version due to the presence of Mark Strong...*ahem*) And I, too, am frequently suckered into trying the prequels, sequels, alternatequels, what have you. Some have been terrific fun. (Like PP&Z! Or the Fitzwilliam Darcy series.) Others, not so much... ;-)