Wednesday, March 8, 2017

In Which I Fail at Pointy-Headedness

I’ve been sitting on this image, waiting for the ideal time to present it to you all.

rawr!, huh?
That moment never seemed to arrive, however.

Then Bookman emailed me. He's looking for his next "pleasure read" and wanted to ask:
"Have you read Norwich’s 3-volume history of Byzantium? I just saw the one-volume abridgement, and I was wondering if I should snag it or save up for the full set. Any opinion?"

After much blinking of the eyes and composing of the face, I carefully replied, explaining that Norwich’s opus came along after the time when I indulged my enthusiasm for Byzantine history, so, no… I had not read it.

Unable to stop myself, however, I then went on to wonder if a 3-volume history of an empire that endured for over a thousand years might not contain more details than can be fully taken in during the course of one reading - and suggested that one might reasonably ask oneself, “How much of this do I really need to know?”

He conceded, “Point taken, I suppose. It’s just that he’s such a good writer!”

And I thought of this image... 
        but now I'm seeing it in a whole 'nother light!

2 comments:

Cat said...

Love this quote, Jz...for me, it stands on its own, Three volume history of Byzantium? No thank you. ;)

Hugs and blessings...Cat

Jz said...

C-
Yeah.
It's a fascinating epoch but there's a reason the word "byzantine" has come to mean "excessively complicated"...
My theory? Let someone else summarize it for me! :-D