Friday, December 11, 2020

Small Batch Christmas, Cookie No.1

This one is truly “small batch”. The recipe says it makes 10 cookies but even with adding a third of a cup of diced cranberries, I only got 9 out of the deal. However, sometimes that’s all you need, right?


This recipe was more of a test run for the future, when I’ll be once again sharing goodies with my lactose & gluten intolerant loved one. There's a lot of good gluten-free stuff out there but there's also a lot of it that misses the boat completely. I often find myself reading gf recipes and thinking, “this is either going to be a marvelous find, or a waste of almond flour.” When they work, tho', they're great, so I'm always game to try!


Which leads me to this inaccurately named 3-Ingredient Almond Cookies. (OK, salt and water maybe don't really count - but I am the Queen of Pernsnickety.) I honestly wondered if this could possibly taste like much, given how little is in it, but... (see above)


As it turns out, the name was the only thing I could grumble about with these cookies. This turns out to be a fantastic recipe to have up your sleeve. Incredibly easy to throw together (5 minutes max, including digging in the freezer for the almond flour), mess is minimal, and the result is a very yummy little batch of DF/GF almond macaroons - with some highly versatile variations. (I’m going to try the chocolate chip version, but use chopped Andes mints instead.)

You could even throw together the dry ingredients and freeze the mixture in a small ziploc bag for a truly effortless dump & bake emergency cookie.


Yes, indeed, I’m very pleased with my first small batch test drive!




3-Ingredient Almond Cookies {Vegan, Grain-Free & Paleo}


Recipe from Powerhungry.com


Ingredients (>3, ahem)

1 cup blanched almond flour (not almond meal) 

3 tablespoons coconut sugar (I used brown sugar)

1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder

1⁄8 teaspoon fine sea salt

2 tablespoons water


Instructions

1. Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silpat.

2. In a small bowl, whisk the almond flour, sugar, baking powder and salt (breaking up all lumps.) Add the water and stir until blended.

3. Drop by tablespoons onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing 2 inches apart.

4. Bake 13 - 16 minutes, until golden brown and set at the centers.

5. Remove from the oven and cool for 10 minutes on the baking sheet. Transfer cookies to a rack and cool completely.


Keep in an airtight container at room temperature for 2 days, the refrigerator for 1 week, or the freezer for 2 months.


Variations:

Chocolate Chip: Add 1⁄4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips to dough.


Thumbprints: Indent the top and add a dollop of jam


Dried Fruit Cookies: Add 1⁄3 cup very finely chopped dried fruit to dough.


Sesame Almond Cookies: Add 1⁄8 teaspoon almond extract to dough and sprinkle tops of cookies with sesame seeds before baking.


Toasted Almond Cookies: Add 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract and 1⁄3 cup toasted sliced almond, coarsely crushed, to dough.

8 comments:

selkie said...

excellent! Going to try these!! My old fella across the street who I keep an eye on, is GF - of all things, developed it at 86! so this will be perfect - size-wise also perfect as he's a skinny little runt and loves a cookie with coffee but does not indulge to a great extent.

selkie said...

that is FIVE ingredients... not 3

messymimi said...

Like you, i do give a sideways glance to all recipes that say "3 ingredients" or "five ingredients" and then they add a few more things, thinking water and salt don't count somehow.

Still, if it's a great recipe (or a crock pot recipe that takes little effort), i am willing to glance and then use it anyway.

Fondles said...

Sounds like a quick and easy recipe! Thanks for sharing.

Bleue D'âme said...

Water and salt, absolutely should be in the count. Yay for not wasting the almond flour. These look a bit more on the muffin-side than on the macaroon side.
But is one for my keep file,definitely, thank-you!

Jz said...

s-
Sometimes, all you really need is what Thelma refers to as, "small but significant" portions.
This really is perfect for that. (And it really is surprisingly tasty, I promise!)

mm-
Exactly! I may give you The Look of Skepticism but if something works, it works!

F-
It really is quick and easy and yummy. Worth a shot.

B-
They do look somewhat muffin-y but they have that moist chewy thing going on inside. :-)

Dyanne @ I Want Backsies said...

I've never used almond flour before, but it looks like I'm going to have to try it now!

Jz said...

D-
If you do get some and then need other recipes to help use it up, let me know. I'll send you my very favorite-ever brownie recipe. I like gooey, chewy brownies and this recipe is KILLER. Gluten be damned, this is just stinking good!