For the first time in quite a few years, I will not be traveling up a mountain for a snowy New England Christmas. I may not actually be celebrating with *anyone* on Christmas Day. (Thanksgiving was warm enough for outdoor dining but the odds of Dec. 25th being temperate are not that good.)
Somehow, tho’, a pandemic makes it easier to face a holiday alone - you’re not going solo because nobody loves you, or you were forgotten about… you’re alone because nobody’s leaving their house! It’s not personal, no one is slighting anyone, we’re just all hunkering down for this one. And you know what? It’s not all bad.
Sure, I’m going to miss seeing loved ones but with a far-flung family like ours, that's not unique to 2020. Other than that, however, I'm really not feeling put upon by this Christmas. Somehow, with half our holiday traditions de-railed anyhow, 2020 feels like the perfect year to bust out! It’s not that I’m going bah-humbuggy - I do cherish holiday traditions - but some years, you want to mix stuff up a bit... and when better than now?
The first alteration I decided on may, I suppose, be less of a change than a reversion. For a number of years, I’ve been using those battery-powered, “6 hours on, 18 off” self-timed window candles. I love the convenience of them and they’re great when you’re away and don’t want to announce that fact with a dark house for days on end, but… they are serious lacking in decorative oomph. That tiny little flickering flame simply cannot produce the magical glow I remember from my childhood. They’re comparatively dim, can’t really hold their own against any other lights you might want to put in your window, plus they’re pretty much a one-trick pony when it comes to color. Generally, I’ve accepted the trade-off of pretty for convenience but since I’ll be home anyhow this year, I’ve brought back the magic! My windows are alight with bright, colorful bulbs - and I am happy about that.
I may have upped my Christmas lights game (tho’ stopping well short of channeling Chevy Chase) but at the same time, I’ve also turned to more muted decorations around the house. The poinsettias are in craft paper bags rather than shiny paper, sparkly bows have been replaced with simple plaids, and anything glittery is getting the year off. It’s all pretty, but definitely a different look.
Holiday menu selection is also getting a shake-up. Roasting an entire turkey for one would be silly and with no one around to give me disappointed looks, the sky is the limit for an alternate festive meal. Mexican street food, take out…, hot dogs…, filet mignon…, Cheerios…, whatever the heck I feel like eating for dinner, that’s what I will have! (And all the remaining small batch cookies will be MINE!)
Even my Christmas music listening has received a make-over. I have a fairly astonishingly large collection of holiday tunes - each and every one of which I love - but this year I seem to be ignoring my iTunes library in favor of the “ambient Christmas music from the next room” selections on youtube. I would never have thought it… but I’m quite enjoying the change.
Mostly, however, I’m looking forward to pacing my holiday the way *I* want to. Because I am just one, I always end up being the accommodating one, letting timing be dictated by the people with more complex schedules. This is perfectly fair but it will be nice to be in charge of my own holiday itinerary for once. (“Don’t feel like moving, Jz? Then don’t! Just sit there and enjoy the lights.”)
I’ve lined up books to read, shows to binge, jigsaws galore... and snacks.
Basically, I’m adopting this as my Christmas 2020 plan:
and I’m looking forward to making it reality.

6 comments:
I, too, did lights this year.
I haven't been too big on baking though. (I'm still fighting off the weight I gained during the beginning of all this COVID crap!)
This Christmas - the actual day-of doings - will not be any different for me than it is any other year; we are separated from family by several thousand miles and long ago stopped accepting invitations from friends in favor of having the holiday to ourselves. What's different for me is less about the traditions and more about the emotions. My joyful feelings are a bit like your battery candles -- the light is there, but it's a bit dim.
My positivity is not dimmed though. I hold out hope that 2021 is a better trip around the sun.
Merry Christmas!
If there is one thing this pandemic has done, it's forced us all to look at our homes and ourselves without the distraction of being out and on the run all the time. I'm with you. It's the perfect year to bake, put on some favorite shows, and ease through the end of 2020. I saw something what said, "what if 2021 is 2020 with a drink in its hand?" Ack! Let's hope that drink is a vaccine. Anyway, Merry Christmas to you. Enjoy your time. Surely, you'll be heading up that mountain in a mere 367 more days.
Amy
It sounds like the perfect celebration to cap off this year, i hope you thoroughly enjoy every moment.
Hi Jz - makes so much sense ... I haven't got any decorations here either - I'm not seeing anyone ... but will go over to my brother tomorrow for the day ... 3 households - while we can before lock-down on Boxing Day. Then looking forward to books, films etc - at home alone! All well otherwise ... enjoy your time - Hilary
It sounds homey and cozy and making the best of it all (with lights and flourishes of plaid--what a pretty picture you painted!) and the mountain will still be there; definitely solace and company to be found in the "not the same".
Feve,
Sure with ya on the hopes for 2021!
I’ve found out I can’t do pajama day on Christmas, but I may be able to swing it on Saturday, so there’s hope!
Merry Christmas!
Amy,
There’s definitely been more introspection than usual, that’s for sure. :-)
Merry Christmas to you, too.
mm-
Thank you, my friend.
I hope your holidays are glowing, too. :-)
H-
I hope you have a grand time with family and smooth sailing through your lockdown, my friend.
Happy Christmas.
B-
Homey and cozy is exactly what feels needed. And you’re right, the mountain will still be there.
Hope your holidays are good and that you get through the move with minimal bother.
Post a Comment