Monday, December 7, 2020

A Christmas Without Cookies?

I was talking with Tiny Woman yesterday and we got on the subject of Christmas and cooking (possibly because I was moaning about all the cooking I’m not getting done, since there’s no water to wash dishes?) and she informed me that she wasn’t intending to do cookies this year anyhow. 

“Just one batch of sugar cookies for the kids to decorate but that’s it.”


Right on the heels of that conversation, greengirl emailed me to commiserate about my well woes and she closed with, “No cookie exchange, huh?” 


Yep. There’s a cookie shortage this year.



For a moment, I was tempted to dub this “The Christmas Without Cookies”… but then I thought, “No, dammit! I am not going to let this flippin’ pandemic preempt all the joys of the holiday season! I am simply going to adapt!” (*insert emphatic nod*)


I contemplated what kind of cookie compromise could be reached and finally hit upon an idea. My recipe stash contains a number of cookies that I think sound terrific but that I’ve never tried because they don't make a lot. (If it doesn’t make at least 36 cookies, I don’t bother with it at Christmas - and if it’s not Christmas, I don’t bother with fussier cookies.) So, I’m going to go through those recipes and pick out 3-4 that I most want to try, and I’m going to make this a Small Batch Christmas!


It won’t be a proper swap but I will share the recipes with you…

Because it’s just not Christmas without Cookies.


(I’d love to tell you what days to watch for the recipes but honestly, I’m way too out of control at the moment to make any kind of reliable declaration about that. Just keep an eye peeled, ‘k?)

11 comments:

messymimi said...

My friend, i did not expect you to host an exchange this year, not with everything on your plate. The fact that you are going to be making cookies at all is inspiring to me.

Dyanne @ I Want Backsies said...

I wish I could be part of a cookie exchange. I tried to do one a couple of years ago with people at work, and they got upset when I said "all homemade - nothing from Walmart". Sigh.
Virtual cookie exchange? Do the small batches, then have a zoom meeting and eat them in front of each other....

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jz - glad you came round ... so cookies will be available sometime. I got given some cookies this morning ... home-made ones too ... the best - almond slither shortbreads ... should be good! Hope things improve and life gets a little easier soonish! Take care - Hilary

Jz said...

mm-
Well, “no cookies” somehow feels like giving up.
Nor does it sound festive, so… :-D

D-
You can usually find a cookie exchange going on around here, it’s just that most of them end up with 15 participants and that’s WAY too many cookies for a single woman. (Well, in principle… I don’t want anyone to think I’m some wuss who can’t eat an extra 15 dozen cookies over the holidays…)
But fortunately, no one around here has to be told not to bring store-bought.
(that kind of blows my mind, tbh)

H-
Ooooh, those sound yummy!
Think of me while you’re eating one, ok? :-)

selkie said...

I'm going to post a recipe on my blog too!! Made these "Cranberry Bliss Bars" a "skinnied down" version of Starbucks apparently and they were AWESOME (albeit "skinnied down" is a bit of a misnomer as they are STILL full of fat and calories but still apparently half of both of the originals).

Jz said...

Oh, cool!
I wanted to invite people to join me in posting, but since I had no idea when I'd get around to trying any of these recipes, I didn't feel right to even suggest it.
I should have known my kindred spirit would pick up the ball! :-)

selkie said...

If people want, send me a link when they post theirs and I'll post them all once I've collected them! It won't be a "JZ Cookie Exchange" but a 2020 version LOL

olivia said...

Yeah, and I feel - I won't say "guilty," but I feel some kind of way about the cookie exchange, because I usually think about it and plan for it and this year? Not so much. I'm glad you got inspired to share recipes. This year just feels like a one-off. So to speak. If I get inspired, I'll share and send you the link.
💜 yY

Jz said...

s-
Thank you for that!

o-
We had a similar conversation about doing the Secret Santa at work: "people could use a boost" vs. "everyone's maxed out". It's more of a year to pare down, I think. Plus, I was on the last fiber of nerve there for a few weeks, with the water woes. I don't think I could have managed graceful hostessing on top of it all.
We'll pause - then see how next year feels. :-)
Yy

Anonymous said...

Most excellent idea. Thank you.

-H

Jz said...

H-
Well, I had to try to find something...