Thursday, April 9, 2020

Pandemic Challenges - #8

This morning was my first venture-forth since they recommended the wearing of face masks… and it was a bizarre experience, to say the least. But at least I had something to wear - it had been touch and go there for a bit.

I do have the odd stash of respirator masks left over from the Big Project of Fall 2019, but those are not “wash and re-use”able and they’re too dratted expensive to use as throw-aways. I'm saving those for emergencies. 
I don’t use bandanas.
There are no old t-shirts in my wardrobe… BG took care of that with his periodic, “wear something I can rip” instructions.
Nor was I willing to de-pleat a bunch of coffee filters. I need those for my coffee, dammit!
(Priorities, people!)

But that’s okay… I can sew something, right? It doesn’t have to be a masterpiece of tailoring, I just need a couple of layers of fabric between my respiratory system and the rest of the world. 
Easy peasy.

I googled and found a simple, quick & easy pattern.
I found a suitable lone pillowcase that I was willing to sacrifice on the altar of public safety.
I measured, I cut, I ironed.

I gathered everything together, dusted off my long-ignored sewing machine, and stepped on the pedal. 
*snap!* 
The drive belt that moves the needle broke in half - a victim of age.

Muttering invective, I broke out needle, thread, and thimble… and began to hand sew.
My face masks were still simple… still fairly easy… 
     but by no stretch of the imagination were they “quick”

However, they are finished and functional.

You take your satisfaction where you can find it these days!

10 comments:

Tom Allen said...

LOL - I've got a few bandannas because... actually, I'm not sure. I don't wear them. No, wait, I wear them on the back of my neck while cycling in the summer.

It's crazy going into a store looking like a wild west bandit, though.

Anonymous said...

My oldest son has been using his shop respirator mask. I don't know what kind it is, but it is impressive. He also has one of those soda stream machines that uses compressed CO2 cartridges to make fizzy drinks. He made an interesting point after his most recent foray into the wilds of Target. Three months ago if anyone had seen a big masked guy walk into a public place with metal canisters SWAT would be on scene in a hot minute. How life has changed.

LM ;)

Arti said...

Going out to get the groceries now comes with ten added steps: step one being finding a mask to wear.

And the steps one has to take when one gets back! Don't ask.

I'm never sure which surfaces I've touched without the gloves and which with the gloves on and so I keep wiping down keys, door knobs, glasses, wallet over and over again...

You get the idea.

Glad you have a mask now Jz. Stay safe. xx

Mrs Fever said...

I'm in need of gloves.

We usually have them on hand, because with my husband's post-transplant compromised immune system, they are a must for everyday household chores. But as of this morning, the box is empty.

We use vinyl, not latex. I'd like to think that gives us a better chance of finding some, but I'm not holding my breath!

messymimi said...

At times like these, needs must. Glad you have something now.

Fondles said...

Good on you. I cant sew to save my life. I'm not even exaggerating. :(

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jz - I can't sew for toffee and haven't got a machine now. A friend said she'd make me some ...but she's too far away. I'll make do as I have something I can adapt - and wash and wear ...

That Target story is so true isn't it - how much has changed ... all the best - Hilary

Jz said...

T-
You know, I was thinking much the same thing…
This is like a dream come true for any little kid who ever played at being Jesse James!

LM-
Wow. There’s a statement! (I get it, tho’. Anything that works and is reusable…)
And, yeah… I wonder what all the convenience stores are doing with their “no masks allowed” signs?

A-
Oh, I know! I even tried doing the alternate hand thing once I get back home to my virus killing staging area - but that isn’t easy, either. Force of habit is just a bugger to overcome.
Serial wiping is the way to go!

Feve-
Yikes! I’ll cross my fingers for you.
We want Mr. Fever in good shape!

mm-
You aren’t kidding.
And yes, I could have done a scarf or something (THOSE I have!) but it’s the ability to just pull it off and drop it into a handy little container of bleach solution that convinced me to sew. Silk and chlorine are not a good mix…

F-
I’m reasonably certain you actually ARE exaggerating… but I will accept that it may not be a big exaggeration… ;-p

H-
Yes, there are actually a few non-sew options out there that are fairly simple. (Which I, of course, did not find until *after* I’d cut up the pillowcase.) ;-D

Red said...

I am so relieved that Americans are wearing masks for this.

A couple weeks ago, before serious lockdown here, we had gone up to Danang for some purchases we can't make in our town, and had to buy a mask at a kiosk in the mall before we were allowed into the major store there. Danang is the 3rd largest city in Vietnam, so they've been a bit more intense about this than our town was at the time.

We now both have two cloth masks, plus an extra. Stay safe!

Jz said...

R-
You two stay safe, too!