Sunday, April 19, 2020

Across Time and Space

“Glares must be inheritable, because [Elizabeth] and Kit have identical ones.”
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows

That up there ^^ is a genetically accurate statement. 
I know this because I got my mother’s glare. Although, since I never had an adult’s interaction with her, I didn’t realized that fact until I was well into my twenties. 

I was visiting home with my beau of the time and we were going through old family photos. I was curious to see his reaction to pictures of me as a child (wondering if he’d agree with SP, who took one look and declared, “Look at those eyes! You were an imp from hell!”), so we were digging deep into the past. So deep, in fact, that we came across a picture I didn’t recall ever seeing before. It was my mom, looking straight into the lens and letting you know she was NOT happy with the photographer. I turned to ask Dad what on earth had been going on, but got sidetracked by the fact that my beau had started howling with laughter - to the point that he was in danger of sliding off the couch.

I looked at him in utter confusion, completely bemused as to the source of his outbreak.
        But he was looking at my Dad - who was nodding with a wry grin on his face.
Finally, the beau gasped out, “You’re braver than me for taking that picture… I run when she gets that look on her face!”

Now, I’ve always wished I looked more like my mom… but maybe not quite like that!

(Mine's not quite this caliber..., but pretty darned close!)


7 comments:

olivia said...

That’s so great - I LOVE that story!!

Bleue D'âme said...

ahh...you come in so quietly and leave something like this, love this so much.

messymimi said...

Heeheehee! That stare does come in handy, especially when dealing with the little persons.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jz - what a great tale ... I wonder whether 'the stare' was for more than taking a photo ... but we are from our parents - I look like my Ma now ... while I can see my father in my brothers ... the genes control! All the best - and happy memories ... Hilary

Jz said...

o-
Glad you like it. :-)

B-
awwww, thanks sunshine!

mm-
Yes. I will admit, my nephews are all familiar with their grandmother's glare, even if they never knew her.
:-)

H-
I definitely got the impression that there was more going on than picture taking... but Dad would never tell me. :-)
He was good at putting his foot in his mouth, so I'm assuming it was one of those moments.:-D

Red said...

That's hilarious! I am trying to rid myself of my resting B Face, but I definitely have Mom's glare.

Jz said...

R-
Ah, yes. RBF - the problem is real...
;-)