(September Song Project, #4)
Generally, I can manage to produce some pretty tasty meals... but an ungodly September workload has been wreaking havoc on the cooking mojo around here.
Generally, I can manage to produce some pretty tasty meals... but an ungodly September workload has been wreaking havoc on the cooking mojo around here.
The food has gone from singing with flavor to crying for mercy.
I made:
Peach muffins.
From gorgeous, succulent, orchard-fresh globes of goodness, obtained by special trip to the farmer’s market, specifically to try out a new “Oooh! Makes a double-batch!” recipe.
Charred to within an inch of their lives.
Meatloaf.
I borked meatloaf, for cripesake.
Who screws that up?
Well… me, apparently.
Now, I didn’t burn it… and the texture was terrific. BUT my total omission of seasoning in any form; salt, pepper, or otherwise, resulted in a perfectly cooked, superbly textured loaf of Bland.
HOWEVER…!
If you think I’m letting a little carbon (or too little sodium) get the better of me, you seriously misunderstand just how ornery I truly am. I absolutely refused to throw these dishes out.
(I could claim noble intentions but really, it was less a case of “waste not, want not” than sheer, stubborn refusal to accept culinary defeat.)
So I crumbled the meatloaf into a skillet, took a paring knife to the crunchy black muffin skin, and produced a magnificent dinner of superbly saucy (and very well-seasoned) shepherd’s pie, with creamy, custardy peach muffin bread pudding for dessert.
HA!
Same food, different tune.
Take that, you cooking gremlins, you!
p.s - did YOU know this wasn't done by Aretha?
I sure didn't.
7 comments:
Hahaha! That's the kind of tenacity I can relate to. :P
(And I think 'borked' is my new favorite word.) :D
Hi Jz - I'd do that too ... waste not want not - I might even crumble the peach muffin (unless it was way too sweet) over the top of the 'shepherds pie', perhaps adding some chutney, cover with a cheese topping and away I'd go ... so your idea inspires - except I wouldn't make muffins! and I'm not good with desserts ...
Early songs and their originals ... always interesting ... cheers Hilary
Mrs. F-
It is a fun one, isn't it?
H-
I do like sweet and savoury together but I still think that in this instance, keeping the two dishes separate is more the way to go.
I can't argue that a cheese topping is a solid addition to the yumminess, however. :-D
Excellent save!
Have you ever tried stuffed meatloaf?
mm-
Thank you!
No, I haven't. What's the stuffing?
If asked, I probably *would* have said Aretha!
L-
I suppose being mistaken for Aretha isn't a bad thing, but it kind of stinks that she had a big hit and nobody really knows, cuz we all think it was done by somebody else!
Post a Comment