I figure if September is Music Month, then the September Friday Night Dance Parties should feature… Musicals! (Any excuse for more Friday Night Dances. :-D)
We’re starting off by Following the Fleet.
This is actually a special request from BookMan, who is not only a book guy, thesaurus, Strunk & White, and poet extraordinaire all rolled into one, but he’s also deeply interested in movies and theater.
BookMan feels that “this is one of the great Astaire and Rogers numbers--performed by Rogers in a dress that she said weighed thirty-five pounds. Not only is the dancing terrific, but once they get past the intro dialog, the whole thing is one shot. No editing, no cutting, no close-ups, just mid-distance full-body shots. Screw cinema--let's dance!”
(That dress gives me total "swoosh" envy, can I just mention?)
9 comments:
Wow. Envy, indeed.
They were amazing together.
I really like some of Fred's solo stuff too, like the firecracker tap dance in Holiday Inn. (I saw an interview his daughter did that said he lost like 13 pounds sweating out the "getting it _just so_" portion of developing/rehearsing that one.)
Gotta tell you- that just TOTALLY made my night.
This had me dancing.
I'm not sure, I've heard anyone described as"Strunk and White", it made me grin huge.
mm-
yeah…
still sighing over that…
Mrs. F-
Do you know, I’d never seen that one?!?
Thank you for that! :-D
s-
Excellent news! ;-)
B-
Tell the truth… in your mind, there was a swooshy dress, wasn’t there?
;-D
Uh, yes, yes there was!
:-D
This is lovely. My favorite parts where her dress flaring out about 1-2 seconds after she stops moving each time... it's mesmerizing!
L-
I'm tellin' ya... the swoosh is where it's at!
Post a Comment