Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Singing Kumbaya

(September Song Project, #3)

(Warning: this should probably be subtitled #GetOffMyLawn! - so proceed with caution)

They corralled us into a meeting at work the other day.
One of those long and dragged-out team-building exercises that wastes time bandying about words like “empathy” and “compassion” in an attempt to make everyone feel warm and fuzzy about their job, so that we can All Be Successful.

Here’s the problem:
I’m not a warm and fuzzy person. Genetically, I fall much more into the "acerbic and aloof, with overtones of arrogance when annoyed" category. Nonetheless, I strive to follow my mama’s precepts of civility, courtesy, and respect to all. I try not to say anything if I haven’t got something good to say - and I firmly believe in giving a compliment when that something nice strikes me.

However…, I am a tech.
You hired me to fix machines, not to blow rosy smoke up your collective backsides. 

Fact of life: Sometimes you just have to suck it up and deal.
Corrollary: Actions speak louder than words.

Making us all successful is a noble goal, but it would stand a much better chance of succeeding if, instead of dictating rules and regulations for how we can make each other feel good, you simply pulled up your big kid pants and categorically made some of the hard decisions that will let us actually accomplish our tasks.

You want empathy?
I’m more concerned with why “honesty” isn’t on your list.
  Or “accountability”.
  Maybe even (going WAY out on a limb here)… “integrity”?

Someone’s cryin', my lord...

5 comments:

Bleue D'âme said...

You had me cringing at "team building" but all of it sounds horrible and empathy without honesty and integrity is an empty platitude.

Mrs Fever said...

Ditto, on the not-warm-and-fuzzy. Plus, I tend to be too much of a "Own your shot, nitwit!" participant to really, y'know, get along in those types of situations...

So pretty much that whole exercise sounds like the 5th level of hell, as far as I'm concerned. (The 6th level would involve having to listen to people eat. That's like nails on a chalkboard multiplied by 227 for me.)

Mrs Fever said...

"Own your SHIT" . . .

Autocorrect strikes again.

messymimi said...

If they ain't gonna fix what's broke, all the good feelings in the world won't save their backsides.

Jz said...

B-
The words “team building” have the same effect on me…

Mrs. F-
I’d flip the levels but I hear ya…
(And yeah, that’s why I turn my auto-correct off. If I’m gonna make a mistake, it’s gonna be my own, dang it!) :-D

mm-
You got that in one!