One of the reasons I’ve enjoyed contemplating My Perfect World this month is because I’m not particularly thrilled with the real world at the moment. You know, this one we all share? I’m not really sure how or when self-indulgent, petulant, destructive rage became fashionable but I’m more than ready for a return to tolerance, moderation, and common sense.
We really, really need to stop disrespecting/disparaging/hating/shooting/bombing/raping/torturing/maiming
people who are “other”.
My Perfect World will be Xenophilia-ted.

6 comments:
Hi Jz - yes ... you're so right - I am infuriated, exasperated and generally fed up, while particularly horrified at the goings on mainly overseas - perfect world: I must check back on your posts ... cheers Hilary
The words tolerate and tolerance have never much appealed to me (would you like it, after all, if you took me to a famous and expensive restaurant and i said it was tolerable or that i tolerated it?), but i agree that everyone should be treated with kindness, consideration and respect. That, i think, is what most people really mean when they talk about tolerance.
X-cellent!
H-
“Going to hell in a handbasket” is a phrase that comes to mind…
mm-
I can understand your lack of enthusiasm for the word - and agree as to your alternate definition - but I’m still going to hold to the belief that simply being willing to tolerate something you do not necessarily like or agree with has a place in the workings of a more peaceful world.
D-
Thanks!
Amen. It's one reason I don't discuss the heavy topics on social media. People no longer check themselves. In person, we are more open to hear the other party, whether or not we disagree.
R-
Moreso, yes - but I'm afraid the attitude is spreading even to face-to-face.
Which disappoints me greatly.
Post a Comment