Wednesday, April 24, 2019

Ubiety**

My grandpa was my favorite person to hang out with when I was little, despite the stroke that had taken his voice the year before I was born. He and I didn’t need words to communicate, as I’ve mentioned before, we figured it out just fine as we went along. He taught me to play checkers, there were endless hours of Hide-n-Seek’ing my dolls, endless patience and boundless love.

Often, however, Grandpa couldn't move around very well, so we would just sit in the kitchen, him in his old, faithful spring rocker, Grandma bustling around, cooking and ironing, and me entertaining them with riveting tales of whimsy and humor, told as only a 4-year old can. (You know, incoherent, poorly-structured sentences, punctuated with loud, random giggles and a lot of "um"s.)

Grandpa died when I was seven, and the kitchen was never really the same after that. It looked the same… that old rocker sat there for years afterwards - but the heart was gone. 

Eventually, my brother moved into that house and the first room he updated was the kitchen. It's beautiful, in keeping with the age and feel of the house - but it’s not the kitchen of my childhood any more.

One day, however, my sister in law called and said, “I found this chair that I think used to be in the kitchen. Would you like it?”  ... Could it be?  - Yes!!  - Grandpa’s Chair!

Completely stripped down, denuded of paint and drapery - in severe need of cushions and covering, but... Grandpa’s Chair!

Hallelujah!!
(Except, ask me how many years it has sat patiently in the basement, waiting for me to scrape together the money to get it fixed up.)

In My Perfect World, I will Upholster Grandpa’s Chair.

(**not one I knew but a serendipitous find!)

10 comments:

Liz A. said...

Lovely. It's great when pieces of our childhood come back to us. Enjoy the chair.

Brett Minor said...

My great-grandfather died when I was 8 and I claimed his lucky buckeye.

He carried that thing in his pocket always and more often than not, he had it out in his left hand and was running his thumb over it. When I would ask why he always had that buckeye, he said "It's my lucky buckeye. I have to have it always."

I have no idea if there was a special significance to that thing. Maybe someone special gave it to him. Maybe it reminds him of someone. Maybe rubbing it was an OCD thing r just kept him from drinking or smoking. I have no idea. But my memory of grandpa always had that buckeye in it.

When I found it a few days after he died, I pocketed it and never told anyone.

messymimi said...

Even in this imperfect world, i know you will do it someday.

Speaking of which, in the minimum security prison here, there is a program where inmates refinish furniture for people, even reupholstering. The owner arranges delivery, the inmate tells what supplies are needed and the owner buys and brings them, and when the work is done, pay is through the inmate’s account. They charge a fraction of what you’d pay elsewhere and do great work. Maybe you could check to find out if there are any such programs where you live, it’s a big thing now to teach inmates work skills this way so they have something they can do when they get out.

Arlee Bird said...

Upholstery sounds like it could be challenging, but I'm sure it would be doable.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

Geoff Maritz said...

Ubiett?
Hi JZ.
Thanks for the visit.
You do realize that no one is ever really gone, they live on in those who remain behind.
I have my parent's furniture in my home and it too needs re-upholstery and my excuse for not having done it already is the same as your's.
It will happen, give it tome to catch up.
Blessings from Geoff in South Africa.

Red said...

My sister reupholstered their dining room chairs one year, without too much trouble. But it was just the seats that needed it, not the entire chairs. Good luck!
p.s. Used your prompt spontaneously for V!

Jz said...

L-
Thank you - I intend to. :-)

B-
Nice... Do you still have it?

mm-
I think I will - and sooner rather than later.
That’s a good idea, I’ll check into it. Thanks!

A-
I’d be willing to tackle the fabric part but I have no idea how to go about creating the seat!
For that, I think I need pros.
Thanks for stopping by.

G-
Welcome!
You’re right that people live on in us, but it’s sure nice to have some tangible reminders, too.
Good luck with getting yours done soon, too!

R-
It’s the big gaping nothing in the middle that gives me pause. I simply don’t have the confidence that my skills with fabric and tacks will keep my butt from ripping through to the floor. It would be kind of like falling into a barrel… :-D

Dyanne @ I Want Backsies said...

Oh, the projects I have that await that "someday" when I have (a) time, (b) money, and (c) necessary skills! Upholstery is way out of my league.

Brett Minor said...

I DO still have it

Jz said...

D-
Yep. The Someday Closet overfloweth...

B-
Yay! :-)