Tuesday, April 23, 2019

Take-away

Well, I told you that some of the things on my list fell under the heading of sheer fantasy…and today's letter tackles the biggest one of all. 

Brace yourselves, because
        In My Perfect World… 
Time Travel will be possible. 

No Tardis, tho’.  
(Tardises? Tardisii?)

Instead, I want my time travel to work the way it does in Jodi Taylor’s “Chronicles of St. Mary’s" (even tho' the author says we are NOT supposed to call it time travel!) 

I want to climb into a small, well-provisioned, and reasonably camouflaged hut and hop to specific points in time, just for the sake of historical research. Of course, you don’t get to change anything that way, so I don’t want to witness anything sad, like Vesuvius exploding, or major battles (from any war), the Hindenburg exploding, the Titanic sinking, or anything along those lines.

But, I would love to be able to know how the Pyramids were actually built… what the Parthenon looked like when the marble statues had all their paint… whether the Hanging Gardens of Babylon were real (and what they looked like if yes)… 

Imagine being able to watch a play in Shakespeare’s Globe… to peek in as Michelangelo paints the ceiling of the Sistene Chapel… to keep an eye on Roanoke… to be with Lewis & Clark when they first saw the Pacific…, to swing by Kitty Hawk on Dec. 17, 1903… to observe people hearing the first “talkie”… to rub elbows with flappers amid Art Deco at its height… 

Mostly, however, I want to see the Great Library of Alexandria!
Books, Egypt, antiquity. Need I say more?

(purely imaginary but it works for me!)
Time Travel
It needs to happen.

8 comments:

Liz A. said...

Sometimes I wonder if we do time travel, though. Just in our imaginations. Books. Movies. Wondering. Thinking of other times is a kind of time travel, although not as fun as yours.

messymimi said...

In your perfect world. of course you will speak and read Egyptian and the other languages of people you study fluently.

Dyanne @ I Want Backsies said...

A Wayback Machine! Call Mr. Peabody!

Brett Minor said...

Some of my favorite movies are time travel movies. And I can appreciate all the different rules that different movies use. As long as they can stay consistent within their own story.

Red said...

Time travel is real. Every week I fight my brain to figure out what time I need to call XYZ friend or family member in XYZ part of the world so that I catch them at the right time!

That said, now you have me wondering what/when I would visit if I could transport myself through time.
p.s. I used one of your prompts in my U post. Thanks!
Doesn't Speak Klingon

Jz said...

L-
That’s a very good point.
(But I’d still like my hut! ;-p)

Thanks for stopping by!

mm-
Well, naturally!
(You’re getting the hang of this, I see!) ;-D

D-
OMG!
I cannot believe I forgot about Mr. Peabody!
(good save, thanks.)

B-
Yepper. I’m always willing to suspend belief. ;-)

R-
There is that, to be sure.
I’m glad to hear I got you thinking about where you’d go - it was an underlying goal.
:-)

Melanie Atherton Allen said...

Ooh, time travel! My A to Z last year was all about time travel, actually. Or, sort of. I... anyway, you know where to look if you want to see it. I won't do a pitch here. :)
Time travel would be totally fascinating, and the way you describe it would probably be at least way less potentially cataclysmic than many. And yes, books! That would be nice.

Jz said...

MAA-
I'll be sure to take a peek! (But probably after April - I'm already scrambling to get through everyone on time!)
Books before there were books... I Want to See!

Thanks for stopping by!