I have to tell you, I’m beginning to understand why I find it so hard to downsize.
I’ve already taken that small house of My Perfect World dreams and crammed into it two card catalog bureaus, a dog, a lanai, and a set of 17-oversized volumes of the OED…
And now?
I’m adding a Pinball machine.
Pinball is one of the very few games that I ever found to be completely addicting and frankly? I’m pretty bitter that the old machines have gone the way of the dodo.
My perfect world will change that.
My perfect world will change that.
It won't be some cheesy video arcade pinball-wanna-be thing, either - I will have the real deal.
Bright colors, flashing lights; loud, cheerful, noisy pings; chiming bumpers, lightning-fast mechanical flippers (doubles for the win!); a solid body to withstand the slams of me rocking and hip-chucking it incessantly (vector-correction is a real thing); and the occasional consumption of a quarter or two, just for the sake of authenticity. (Which it will then politely spit back because, Perfect World.)
I will also have a small bar nearby with unlimited popcorn and cold beverages, but that is more to provide a place for people to gather, courteously distant from the cussing, hand slapping, machine-shaking fool who is taking this all VERY personally.
Pinball for the win!

9 comments:
Hi Jz - we had a plain one growing up as kids ... but I've always loved them. Just seen one of 80 -90 years old being repaired ... wonderful they carry on working. Sounds like you're well organised for your new 'plaything' ... Pinball machine in the play room with popcorn - who murdered who? Cheers Hilary
In case you're lacking a soundtrack for your pinballing:
https://youtu.be/JZshZp-cxKg
We had one of those pinball machines growing up, and i wish we still did!
Pinball memories of my teen years and early adulthood. I never got good at pinball, "tilt" was my fate. But my husband-to-be...ah, he could play for hours at the arcade. We never did own one of those machines. Thank you for visiting my blog for A to Z.
My aunt had a real pinball machine in her house when I was a kid. It was awesome. The downside was the noise they tend to make. Unless you have a really big house where the machine can be away from everyone else, I can't be used except during acceptable times for ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE.
It couldn't be played while anyone was sleeping. It was in the living room, so if someone was watching TV, it could not be played. It was even distracting for people trying to have a conversation in the room.
Drove me crazy to have that awesome toy right there and not being able to play with it because of all the stupid adults around.
H-
That’s the beauty of the old ones - the machinery is the kind you can actually fix!
(And I think Colonel Mustard, don’t you?)
Mrs. F-
TWELVE!
:-D
mm-
When we’re neighbors, we’ll each have one.
*nod, nod*
A-
I wasn’t brilliant at it, merely adequate, but gosh, I didn’t care.
Thank you for reciprocating!
B-
That’s kind of right up there with white upholstery on furniture… what’s the point?
Must have been maddening…
Yes. Exactly.
We had a neighbor who had a plush white carpet in her living room. But she never allowed anyone to step on it.
This was the room you walked into when you first entered her house!
You had to take your shoes off on the porch outside. Then, you had to walk on the plastic walkway she had on top of the carpet to access the stairs on the other side of the room. Enjoy the view of the awesome carpet as you walk buy because no one can stay in here.
That carpet was beautiful, but it destroyed the functionality of the room and with the plastic strips she had to place on top to protect the carpet, that destroyed the look of having the white carpet to begin with. It was such a waste.
Too much money. Not enough sense.
I used to visit my great aunts in the town my mom grew up in (population 400) and would walk "uptown" (4 blocks or so) to the drugstore. I'd get a nickel ice cream cone and put a nickel in the pinball machine and now I sound like I'm about a hunnert years old.
B-
I feel your pain.
D-
Yeah - I can remember getting to walk to the little local store with a dime and needing a bag to carry home all the different candies that bought...
Boodge over on that porch swing - we have kids to keep off our lawn!
Post a Comment