As I think I have mentioned before, my Dad was an engineer (not to mention a hands-on jack of all trades,) so dinner conversations at my house often consisted of some fairly scientific explanations of various projects that Dad had going. Chemistry, physics, mechanical principles - all were simply components of how my father understood the world, so that’s how he explained them to us.
For the most part, his explanations were quite comprehensible: logically explained and well-illustrated. Every once in a while, however, my tendency to invert things would rear its ugly head and muddle me up considerably. And like anything learned incorrectly first time ‘round, I would often struggle to remember the correct meaning from that point onward. Which meant that every winter, when it came time for an oil change, an argument ensued.
So, to save my poor father’s rolling eyeballs, in My Perfect World, I will understand Viscosity.
(It should be straightforward but I get turned around trying to recall if the thing being measured is the resistance or the flow... Is a high number super-sluggish or super-fast?)
(Don't answer that! I need to get this straight, darn it!)

8 comments:
I don't think I could answer it anyway. Sad, as that should be something from my wheelhouse.
In my world, when the little light comes on, i change the oil. End of discussion!
MessyMimi and I have common ground.
L-
It's a silly little thing to get mixed up on but I *always* have to think about it!
Glad to hear there may be others in the boat with me. :-)
mm-
That's my approach now that Dad is gone, certainly.
While he was around, however, I couldn't get away with it! ;-)
LL-
She's good like that. ;-D
Thanks for stopping by!
My father in law is a funeral director. Imagine THOSE dinner conversations for a minute....
D-
Alrighty, then-
You Win! :-D
Hi Jz - yes Dyanne wins the dinner table conversation ... but I'd have enjoyed having dinner with your Dad ... I think I might have remembered it as golden syrup (maple syrup?!) v coffee spills ... and I'm sure my science should be better - cheers Hilary
H-
Oh sure, NOW someone comes up with a sensible suggestion...!
;-D
(And yes, you likely would have enjoyed dinner. The man was a character, to be sure!)
Post a Comment