In yet another impediment to my downsizing, in my perfect world, I will have a Lanai.
![]() |
| Again, click for immersive experience... |
Not just because I want a fancy way of saying “porch” - we have "veranda" for that. No, the thing about Lanais, at least in the way that I learned the word, is that they are a porch that serves as an extension of your living space. It's a covered outdoor room. People often sleep on their Lanais (altho’ this is far more feasible in Hawaii than New England) and it’s that sense of bringing the outdoor into your home, and your home into the outdoor that is so appealing. Fresh air, chirping birds, and wind rustling through the leaves are all very important to me… but it can be challenging to relax amid them outside.
Because, for one thing, bugs. (Bugs are among the creatures whose right to exist I can grasp intellectually but that I have a hard time endorsing in reality.)
Even beyond the crawly things, however, a huge problem with outdoor relaxation is the lack of cushy seating. Outdoor furniture needs, perforce, to be “set it and forget it” - and that rarely coexists with comfort.
So I want a Lanai - a place to lounge and chill that’s almost outdoors, only better.
(Short of a Lanai, my perfect world will at least contain comfortable Lawn furniture!)

8 comments:
When I saw your picture, I first thought the "Lanai" was the huge, cushy, bed thing on the end.
Since we leave windows and doors open year-round - except for really rainy days - I had to get used to bugs. Actually, the bugs here aren't too bad. They're just big. Not the mosquitoes, just the spiders and roaches. And spiders are good, so we don't kill them. Just the roaches.
I share your feelings about bugs.
I wish I had a screened in porch. Outside but inside and bug free. Not as fancy as your lanai, though
You need a lanai on a tropical island somewhere, it would do you a world of good.
R-
yeah, I had the same thing in Hawaii... you know you're acclimatized when you're glad to see lizards inside your house! ("That's ok, the gekko will get 'em")
D-
Yes, anything porch is actually good. It being a lanai just takes it that extra step toward perfection. :-)
mm-
I can't decide if it would be good for me, or just leave me depressed when it was over! ;-p
Same here. I love the idea of sleeping outdoors, but bugs love me too...
The Multicolored Diary
Thanks for your comment on my post. I first heard of lanai when I watched the Golden Girls on TV. My cat would love it!
I think a Lanai would suit me just fine too!
j-
I can SO see you lounging out on the lanai! (In that snazzy new suit of yours!) ;-)
Post a Comment