Thursday, April 11, 2019

Jolly Times

No world, perfect or not, is worth anything without a big bunch of friends and mine are grand - I’m not giving up a single one of them. 

However… a person can never have too many friends and there are still oodles of people out there that I think would make fabulous chums. So, in my perfect world, they will be!

It’s actually one of the things I’m most looking forward to in that perfect world - those regular coffee dates with my close personal friend Joanna Lumley. 


Of course, it IS daunting to have friends who are way more attractive than you. (I’ve already bumped my nose on that one more than once!) But I’m willing to put up with being outshone because she seems like so much fun!

Although I realize Joanna has starred in a number of sitcoms, I first discovered her through her travel documentaries… which I absolutely love! Her sharp wit makes me howl with laughter but what I most appreciate about her is that she remains consistently respectful to all sorts of people. You can tell she doesn’t always agree with what’s being said - she often teases to make her point - but she is never mean or catty. She appears to be genuinely glad to meet the myriads of different people along the way and to see and appreciate the common humanity in everyone.

That, to my mind, is the mark of a class act... which is why she'll be one of my friends.
The “howling with laughter” part is just icing on the cake… 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"You can tell she doesn’t always agree with what’s being said - she often teases to make her point - but she is never mean or catty. "

This notion is completely lost on most North Americans. In fact, I find 'cruel and catty' to be the goal of most. A continent of children with offspring even more distasteful. All of them looking to be offended and howling like spoiled brats at the first chance. It's become the national pastime.

And it permeates almost every strata. From the academy to the grocery store.

Lumley's public campaigning on behalf of the Gurkas highlights the differences between a civilized woman and our preening, petulant pedants.

messymimi said...

You cannot have too many open minded friends who may disagree with you, but won’t be disagreeable doing it. Having a great sense of humor is always helpful, too.

Dyanne @ I Want Backsies said...

I have no idea who Joanna Lumley is, but apparently I've been missing out!

Red said...

I did not know she did documentaries. I must look into that.
BTW, I used another of your prompts for my K post. Thank you for being so active in making suggestions!

Doesn't Speak Klingon

A Tarkabarka Hölgy said...

Sounds like she would be a wonderful friend to be around! :)

The Multicolored Diary

Jz said...

D-
You’re preaching to the choir, my friend.
I can’t tell you how often I’ve watched the flailing arms and heard the lambasting and thought, “I simply disagreed with you. It’s not like I accused you of molesting children…”
All of us being entitled to our own opinion is just that… ALL of us.

*stopping for a deep breath*

Yes, she seems lovely, doesn’t she?

mm-
Exactly. (see above, which I will not repeat lest it get me going…)
:-D

D-
You need to rectify that, lady!
(youtube can be your friend with that…)

R-
She’s sort of gone the Michael Palin route and turned to travel documentaries, and they’re really a lot of fun. (And you’re welcome for the suggestions - I figure it’s better to have too many than not enough.)

ATH-
Doesn’t she, tho’?
Thank you for stopping by!