Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Coveted Cabinetry

I’m not sure there are sufficient words to describe how very, very badly I want one of these:

a Card Catalog Cabinet

This thing is absolutely me in a nutshell.

It’s books, it's antiques... 
It’s Dewey decimal, numbers, and the ever-so-satisfying alphabetical order.
It’s my personal history. 
It’s me typing up a new entry card (yes, on a real live typewriter!) and having the head cataloger hand it back to me FOUR times to re-do, “correctly this time, please.” 
It’s a lesson in humility. (AND attentiveness!)

It’s pretty. It’s commodious.

I could store all my trinkets in one place!
I could sort my chatchka alphabetically!
I could hunt for a pen and take a trip down memory lane, all at the same time!

Unfortunately, they're stupid expensive - I could never ever afford one.
But in my perfect world…
I have two. 

14 comments:

abby said...

Hmm...I am with you...so many uses...and a conversation started I am sure....hugs abby

Allison said...

I have one that's more of a cabinet - no raised legs. I got it back in high school and it was built to store CDs. I don't have enough CDs to fill it anymore, so it's CDs and DVDs now, and looks enough like a card catalog to satisfy my librarian heart! They're so beautiful.

Mrs Fever said...

All the YES to this! The old oak library and schoolhouse furniture always gets my admiring attention when I go antiquing. I have no space for it -- as well as no budget for it! -- but I salivate over it nonetheless. :)

NotesinaBook said...

I have been after one of these myself! they look amazing!!

messymimi said...

Oh, yes. One of these would be perfect for something. Or even for nothing, just to have.

Fondles said...

I covet one of these too. To have all my little bits and pieces in one place... beautiful.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jz - I could definitely do with one of those ... and had bought a tie chest of drawers which has now gone to the daughter of a friend, who is into art and so lots could be stored in the various drawers - and it had a shelf to pull out - to display ties ... I was fond of it! I hope you can get one sometime ... cheers Hilary

Jz said...

a-
I hadn’t really considered the “conversation started” aspect of it, but you just made my imagination take off!
Good to see you. :-)

A-
Yeah, there are a lot of different styles but this is the one that really makes my eyes gleam… so I don’t have to completely hate you for having one! You lucky duck.

Mrs F-
It sounds weird to say “I salivate with you” or “Yours in salivating”… but you know what I mean.
;-p

Notes-
If you source a decent priced one, holler out! (After you’ve obtained your own, of course *ahem*)

mm-
“Even for nothing”… Ex-ACT-ly!

F-
Apparently we’re a covetous bunch around here… ;-p

H-
Oh yes. The pull-out drawers are an excellent addition.
You’re a good woman for passing it along. I’d probably still be grasping it with my cold dead fingers…

Dyanne @ I Want Backsies said...

You could store a lot of chotskies in those drawers, but they're awfully deep, and I see everything sliding back to the back and hard to find. Ooo, but you could go all Marie Kondo and roll up your socks and underpants and put in them!

Jz said...

D-
They are deep - but they also have those pushy things that you adjust to keep the cards upright... I could utilize those for nifty dividers.
I am constitutionally unequipped to maintain any Marie Kondoing...

Arti said...

I'd like one of those too please.

Jz said...

A-
If I find a "two-fer" sale, you'll be at the very top of my list!
;-p

Lea said...

I love card catalogs. There's a vintage shop around here that stores all their bits and bobs for sale in one! It is absolutely gorgeous.

Jz said...

L-
They really can be stunning, can't they?