Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Bestirring Oneself

Please tell me I’m not the only one with a bureau full of craft projects that are never quite completely finished?

I'm afraid I have a cache of needlepoint pieces that is completely out of control.
The problem, you see, is that I’m kind of a pill.

          (I’ll pause here a minute to let the shock die down…)

I only like doing the fun parts. I love to pick out the pattern, to watch the design fill out and bloom beneath my fingers. I like the relaxing effect of a mindless yet pretty activity. I would say I delighted in being productive as I relaxed… except there’s nothing productive about creating canvas after canvas that merely molders in a drawer.

In my Perfect World, I would Block my needlepoint.

15 comments:

G. B. Miller said...

Being a writer, I have the equivalent of a shelf full of slushie novels in various states of incompleteness. Kudos for being consistent in not completing anything.

olivia said...

Those are beautiful! Mine are in more varying stages of incompleteness. I'll get excited about some project, buy the material,and not start it (an ambitious Xmas project, set aside for next year.) Or get halfway through and discard it. I see you as a goddess of completion in comparison.

yY

messymimi said...

Of course you aren’t the only one. And yes, our inner child gets bored and quits once the fun parts are done.

A. Catherine Noon said...

There are places you can pay to have pieces finished, so that you can enjoy the fruits of your hard work. :)

Happysurfer said...

Still, I marvel at those who have the spirit to get started. ;P

Jz said...

GB-
Well *that* started my day off beautifully, being complimented for what my dad insisted on calling my dilly-dallying! Thank you for that!

O-
“goddess of completion”…
I may have that put on a t-shirt… ;-p
Thanks, sunshine.

mm-
I know. I didn’t really expect that I was the only one… it just seemed a good way to ease into the topic. ;-)

ACN-
That is a thought, to be sure.
My inner Puritan struggles with the idea but it IS a thought…!
Thanks for stopping by. :-D

H-
I like your generous viewpoint! Thank you.
And thanks for stopping by. :-)

allison said...

That's me. I have a t-shirt quilt I started in 2011, and it's still just t-shirts cut up, a few sewn together, and the backing purchases. I have other "hobbies" too, but I've just started paper quilling and I love it! It's fairly quick and easy so I've finished everything I've started, knock on wood.

julie said...

This is me! I have 2 unfinished cross stitch picture things and just bought another. For now I have made a deal with myself to finish at least one this summer before I start on the new one. But we'll see.

Jz said...

a-
Oh, golly.
Does finishing all those projects give you completion anxiety?!?
;-p

I'd always thought quilling was hard... no?
Anyhow, congrats on finding something fun that you can finish. :-)

j-
It's important not to run out of projects to partially finish, it's true.
(Clearly I'm teasing, as I'm more than guilty myself!)

Dyanne @ I Want Backsies said...

When I was in college, my mom and I went through a spell of cranking out needlepoint pictures and reading Harlequin Romances. We finished the needlepoint projects, but then what? We didn't want to hang them anywhere, and they were always pulled from neat squares into parallelograms, so they're probably in a box in a closet somewhere, along with the books.

Jz said...

D-
It's amazing how distorted they get, isn't it?
Thank you for feeling my pain...

Arti said...

I sigh in the comfortable knowledge that there are more of my kind out there: the kind who start projects but don't always take them to the finish line. Phew! thank you Jz:)

Jz said...

A-
And *I* am delighted to know I have such pleasant company in my dawdling...
:-)

Liz A. said...

I'm more a finished projects person, but I know what you mean. Some parts just take forever to get to.

In knitting there's a term for it. You're a process or project knitter. A project knitter is all about making finished projects. A process knitter just likes the act of knitting. They would be completely content to never finish anything, just to do the fun stuff.

What you need is someone who likes the finishing bits, and then you two could trade off. You do what you consider fun, they do what they consider fun, and in the end you have a bunch of finished projects. But that might be too much work, too ;)

Jz said...

L-
It's a good idea... altho' I have a sneaking suspicion one of us would need an almost inhuman amount of patience. (And it wouldn't be me - just sayin')