Saturday, September 1, 2018

Dance Party!

Because it IS a holiday weekend, after all…


I know it’s nearly 5 minutes long and you may be thinking, “Who has time for that?” but I just fell in love with this compilation and had to share it. It’s got everyone - Fred Astaire, Shirley Temple, Gene Kelly, Anne Miller, Bob Fosse… even Groucho Marx!

I was particularly taken with the scene of James Cagney dancing down stairs. 
          Who knew James Cagney could dance?!? 

I was sad, however, that there wasn’t more Cyd Charisse. IMHO, she was far and away the best old movie female dancer (and holy heck, those legs!!!) but all she got in this piece was one paltry second of a fairly mundane turn. I'm going to have to spotlight Cyd another time…

But enough of my nitpicking... It's the weekend! 
Get out there and dance!  :-D

8 comments:

Fondles said...

It's all about the dancing, this weekend. I saw this on my FB feed this morning. You might want to take a look.

Toni Basil Dancing at 74

messymimi said...

Oh, wow. Talk about a pick-me-up for the morning!

olivia said...

Omg, I love this sooo much. Thanks.

Hilary Melton-Butcher said...

Hi Jz - yes ... loved it - such fun ... especially if you're not a good mover like me ... love seeing them dance away - and Groucho ... and Laurel and Hardy briefly ... great fun - thank you ... enjoy the weekend - cheers Hilary

Jz said...

F-
Weekends should be for dancing, don't you think?
Thanks for the link! She's pretty amazing. :-)

mm-
Now go out there and dance your way through the day! :-D

o-
I'm very glad.
Yy

H-
You know, I thought of you when I saw Laurel and Hardy. ;-)
Glad you liked it - hope it gave you a bit of a lift!

Red said...

I love this. I think it's made the rounds a half-dozen times or more.

There was a time I watched so many old, classic movies I could discern one dancer's style from another. I realized that, as much as I love Gene Kelly's movement, Fred Astaire is a realm of dancing unto himself. Have you noticed? It's his whole body, and everything flows together. All professional dancers look like that until you watch Astaire right after them; then even Gene Kelly looks like he's just "good".

I had the supreme JOY to watch a kid dance like that at Hershey Park one summer. The entertainment programs there are excellent, but I believe the resident acts are populated by college students on summer break. He was Astaire reincarnated.

Thanks for this flashback!

selkie said...

Have seen this numerous times and NEVER EVER get tired of it! That James Cagney bite -a bit like Hugh Grant's Stair Dance in Love Actually (not exact, of course, but reminiscent) and yes, Cyd needs more time! Albeit I always loved Ginger Rogers' comment to the effect of "I did everything he (Fred Astaire) did but backwards and in heels!"

Jz said...

R-
Yeah, I figured the fact that I’d never seen it before didn’t mean it wasn’t new… but I alsofigured it could stand up to repeat viewing! Glad you agree. ;-)

I do know what you mean about watching Fred Astaire - he was definitely the elegant one. I might quibble a bit about Gene Kelly looking merely “good” in comparison, tho’. Sometimes, yes. But it depends upon what they’re actually dancing and the mood of it. Astaire is always so smooth, it sometimes obliterates the sheer joy of movement that just pours out of Kelly. And those styles each have their place...

You are right, tho' - It really is pure joy to watch someone who can move like that, tho’, isn’t it?
Nice to meet a fellow fan! :-)

s-
Man! Apparently I’m well behind the curve on youtube!
Or any other social media, since blogging is my one and only online presence.
(I blame my Erotic Awakening Podcast addiction for the new youtube habit. They’ve started releasing videos of the podcast and that’s gotten me on youtube more often. I now have a very extensive sidebar of suggestions for videos to feed my dance fascination and my new cake-decorating obsession. More on *that* later...)

Anyhooo…
Yes, “backwards and in heels” kind of says it all, doesn’t it? ;-D