Friday evening:
I decided that cooking dinner was just not on the books after the week I'd had and took myself off to the local restaurant. (Yes, I said "the" local restaurant.) I was quite prepared to have fish and chips but the food gods smiled on me and I was able to gorge myself on chowder and fritters, instead. (*Happy Girl*)
When not snarfing my food, I enjoyed watching the other patrons, particularly the "mature" family matriarch who marched in wearing spanking clean polyester pants with matching windbreaker -- and equally dazzling sneakers -- and the biggest set of headphones I've ever seen outside a recording studio.
Which she did not remove at any point during the meal.
Her family simply conversed around her.
That kept my imagination occupied for a while...
Saturday:
I lingered over my two cups of coffee and peach muffins before finally deciding that I really could not miss the farmers market again. The thumb-sized snacking blackberries were nearly out of season, plus I wanted to make another batch of peach muffins to stock the freezer. (Veggies were not needed, as I'd stopped by my favorite, "Everything for Fifty Cents!" roadside table the night before and picked up $5 worth of fresh corn, squash, tomatoes, and green beans -- which filled two bags…)
After stowing all produce safely away (and consuming a restorative tomato sandwich,) I headed out to the grocery store, taking the most circuitous route possible in order to avoid beach traffic.
Came home via the iced cappuccino place, because weekend.
Commenced cooking.
Sauteed Corn with Bacon and Balsamic Onions
Squash, Bacon, and Mozzarella Quiche (with new crust recipe)
That evening, I contemplated going to the county fair but realized that I had already missed both the horse and ox pulls. Could not whip up enough interest to justify paying an $8 entrance fee simply to eat my annual corn dog and look at chickens and pigs, even if they are wearing blue ribbons.
Altho' I could also get strawberry shortcake, too...
Hmmmm… thinking, thinking…
Nope.
Dined healthfully at home instead, then spent the evening finishing a terrific book which had me laughing out loud. (Laughter is good for a person.)
Sunday:
Made more peach muffins, disposing of any misshapen ones immediately. o:-)
Then tackled The Lawn -- a thing which could no longer be ignored.
I pushed, puffed, panted, limped, and cut for 3 hours, cursing my fractured/sprained ankle and wondering why the heck I haven't just fixed the rider. (I know the answer but thinking about my lack of financial wherewithal does not improve my mood, so I feign ignorance…)
Left the back field for another day. Too hot and my ankle was screaming.
Cleaned up and ate another restorative tomato sandwich
(accompanied by cold cucumber soup this time.)
Grabbed an iced coffee and another good book and retired to the chair under tree.
Watched my neighbor's pig snuffle at the freshly agitated denizens of my lawn.
(See? who needs to pay entrance prices?)
Had quiche for dinner, followed by a trip to DQ for a banana cream pie blizzard.
Because I'd mowed for 3 hours on a bad ankle, dammit.
Listened to the crickets, wished that weekends could be longer, and went to bed.
Dreamed of next weekend already.
Oh, and! Apropos of nothing….
I just realized:
![]() |
| not quite a corn dog but still, a thing well worth eating! |

6 comments:
In reverse order.
Next 'date night' you need to tie yourself to that riding mower and see if you can't get the fellow to fix it!
And the quiche sounds lovely. My younger son - known by his mother and grandmother as the 'golden child' - has just taken up cookery and brought home a similar sounding/tasting quiche. Delish.
Never seen a family matriarch so dressed or aurally bedecked.
D-
ooo! An Excellent Idea!!!
unlikely, but excellent, nonetheless…
(altho he has fixed a rototiller for me and carpentered on my house, so you never know…)
The matriarch in near-tracksuit, while not common, is not unheard of here.
But those earphones really got me.
I'm assuming it had to have been noise muffling for some sort of ear condition -- (or she's just unfathomably rude) -- but still, it looked odd.
Put some of those baking goods and vegetables in strategic places, and you might be surprised what brings out the mechanic in a man! I've done some 'wrenchin'' for less.
Wrenches For Wenches?
;-D
There you go! Good one. As long as the wench is there to hand over tools and realize that the difficulty and dirtiness of the job is directly proportional to how 'difficult' and 'dirty' she gets it later on.....
Wenches realize more than you might think…! ;-)
Post a Comment