Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Decisions, Decisions...

Which picks up with me pondering the question of whether I should get off the rollercoaster or remain patient with BG...

It really did take quite a bit of thinking.

I thought about what I had known about his availability right from the start. I reminded myself that the HUGE 24-month project that consumes his time was more than two-thirds complete. (Cleverly, I met BG within a few short weeks of it's beginning. ) I repeated to myself, "The end IS in sight..."

I reflected on the reasons I'd entered into this relationship.

I thought about how very much I like him and how nothing of what he's actually doing is bad. He's not out cattin' around or home on his couch. He's putting in 12-18 hour days, spending time with his kids, and trying to keep up with life maintenance, two houses, and multiple cars on the weekends. While still trying to find his post-separation feet amid the chaos.

I also thought back to hellacious times in my life when I've been over-extended and recalled how even the bare minimum of effort often seemed impossible.

The end result was Decision Part One: We warranted a grace period.
One in which I would continue to roll with the situation until a couple of months after the Big Project is over. (We'll allow for a little recovery time, too...) Barring major changes by either party, we're a lock 'til then. At which point we'll revisit and regroup.
Fine.

But a funny thing happened while I was working out my mad at him.
As I picked apart the underpinnings of the relationship, I gradually became aware of how inconsistent my own behavior was, as well. I was telling him I would go with the flow but I wasn't letting go of my expectations, either. I know he has no more room on his plate right now and WISIWIG. I know it, I said it, I believed it. But I wasn't acting on it. I realized that I was just as responsible as he was for the rollercoaster. I could say "grace period" 'til I was blue in the face, but if I didn't change my mindset, the ride would remain the same.
Time to either shut up or start walking the walk.

Basically, it was the slut issue that was hanging me up. It can be really hard to drop your defenses and let the slut shine through when you want to be more than that.
I like being "My girlfriend, the slut."
I do NOT want to be, "This slut I'm fucking every fourth Wednesday." 
Reconciling that distinction in a relationship where he only has time for you every fourth Wednesday is tricky, however. I was so doggedly determined to maintain a balance between girlfriend and fucktoy that I ended up rigging my own scales.

Realistically, he's never been anything other than highly appreciative of me as a person. I'm not just the fucktoy ... but he expresses that in his own terms, not mine. I need to learn how to hear what he's saying, not wait for him to use my magic words.

That resistance to slut-hood hampered me in another way, as well. Even though I adore being his fucktoy, I was holding back. Not during scenes but at all other times. I wouldn't let S-girl come out and play. She couldn't instigate naughty cyber-playfulness, or indulge in the mischief of planning fashion surprises for him. She had to sit tight, lest she be taken advantage of...
Really, I let my fear of disparity effect the amount of enjoyment I was getting out of the relationship.

Once I saw that, the silliness of it slapped me right upside the head.
Circumstances are forcing us to half-ass in a good portion of the relationship right now and I have no choice but to accept that. However, I am damn well not going to half-ass the rest of it, too! I'm here to learn and experience and experiment and enjoy. Get a move on, woman!

So, Decision Part II was that I will ride the coattails of that grace period, myself. I'll stop trying to channel the direction of the relationship. I won't fret about being taken for granted. I'll just take the pressure off of both of us by sitting back, relaxing, and seeing where we end up come fall.

I'm still anxious that this won't turn into what I'm hoping for once he gets time, of course, and leery that things will come crashing down around my ears at a later date. But this is my chance and I intend to take full advantage of it. I'm going to suck all the fun I can out the relationship, while I can.
Even if we don't ride off into the sunset, I will know I've lived.

Which is really kinda the biggest thing worth knowing.

Next time on As The Decision Evolves, find out how this is working out for me!  Stay tuned...  :-)

9 comments:

Dom Tom said...

Wow! It sounds like you have your work cut out for you. How lucky he is to have a woman who is as thoughtful and introspective. Consistency is always the key to these things, so I hope you will be able to sustain that free feeling and continue to develop a healthy relationship.

mouse said...

Since this isn't the end of story...I'll reserve my comments...

That said, I will say you're completely right about one thing, you can say anything until you're blue in the face, but until you really embrace it and own it, it means nothing.

You can accept BG that he's well, busy but in admitting that you have to lower your expectations. That's way easier said than ever done. You have to decide what's really important and weigh that against whatever it is that you're missing (Or just imagine you're missing).

I'll hush now and stop rambling.

Hugs,
mouse

strivingforpeace said...

There you go -- getting all meaningful and all

you always give me pause for thought

sfp

Jz said...

DT-
It's not the situation I would have chosen for An Easy Life, that's for sure.
On the other hand, I do enjoy him, in all the various permutations of meaning.
Thanks for the kind words. (Usually I just get, "would you PLEASE stop thinking so much?!?")

m-
Yup, it's all a big crap shoot, really. (Not unlike life itself, of course.)
The thing is, right now, I cannot have what I want. That's just not gonna happen, no matter what I do. However, If I sit tight, I might get what I want in the now-not-quite-so-horribly-distant future.
Yeah, I could waste another six months but if things work out, isn't that worth the time?
And even if it doesn't, what else have I got goin' on at the moment?
Goat Man? I think not.

sfp-
It's a clever ruse. I'm actually a very shallow person...
;-p

turiya said...

*hugs* All I'm gonna say is... I hope you've told him all this (or at least plan to). I think he needs to hear it.

turiya

greengirl said...

It's a 'no clear way is the right way situation' but it seems like you've managed to find the way that respects both of you the most honestly. It's a decision that takes some courage, but now that you've seen it, I can't imagine you would be able to live with the other options. I do hope it trends in a nice direction as pressures ease.
btw - word verification = trize

Jz said...

t-
Oh, yeah. He knows.
Seemed only fair to let him in on the decision, after all! :-)

gg-
Yes. It's an easy decision to question, especially when a number of friends are helpfully reminding me, "you aren't getting any younger, you know. Shouldn't you move on?"
But you're absolutely right that once you see it, your options are removed. Which I think also addresses mouse's concern about altering my expectations. Honesty demands certain actions. Otherwise you're reduced to being self-serving and bogus. All in one fell swoop, no less.

Anonymous said...

New time reader... Just have to say that I've enjoyed your blog...and this entry in particular reminds me of one of my favorite "sayings" - it seems like a "cosmic bitchslap" - pardon the term.

Hope you don't mind - I've added you to my favorite reads...

Jz said...

Welcome, Cilla!
Glad you're enjoying your visits to this little corner. Thanks for the kind words!