Let's see if I can get myself into as much trouble as Sir J! :-)
In a comment to my post "Considering Femininity", Magnus Cattus urged me to turn it around and consider how I viewed masculinity and asked what type of guy appealed to me. I find that a very difficult question to answer.
Because, well, I really like men.
Men are fun to look at, interesting to talk to, and amusing to watch around machines and technology. They stretch your mind and show you viewpoints you've never considered. They track in dirt and cuss more creatively than God. They make you want to hug them, lick them, cook for them, and drop-kick them into next week. I like men as friends, I like men as objects of flirtation, I like men as studmuffins.
I just plain like men.
Nor will I go all noble on you and insist that I don't pay attention to the outer trappings. Nope. I likes me my eye candy.
However, just as with candy bars, there's something different to appreciate about each one. Some men have nice eyes, some, nice smiles. There are cheekbones, necks, arms, shoulders, chest, abs, legs,... (I'm purposely leaving out butts so I can stay on track here.) Basically, you name it, I've ogled it on some guy.
But the truth is that most of the time, what is pleasing to my eye has nothing whatsoever to do with creating attraction. I can think of at least a half-dozen guys that I could sit and admire all day without ever feeling any stirrings of desire. What I'm drawn to is some intangible aspect of personality.
To my mind, "attractively masculine" is not a physical manifestation but a mindset or attitude.
I've dated: tall, short, husky, slender, blonde, brunette, athletic, couch potato, impatient, tolerant, passionate, gentle, bisexual, straight, pacifist, veteran, businessman, academic, milquetoast, and sadist. Some of them have: worn too much jewelry, used bad aftershave, had lousy fashion sense, been under their parent's thumb, or possessed body parts that no one would ever immortalize in sculpture. (Remember, I've never married, so I've had time to cram these all in!)
But they were all attractive to me because they all had the right attitude.
People who don't get it just assume I've been testing all possible waters. The ones with an eye can see what I see. Which is that these guys all shared some great qualities.
They were sharp as tacks, honest, funny, open-minded, warm, compassionate, and giving, every last one of 'em.
But there's more to it than just that, surely.
So let's go back to TomKat's original question:
What do I see as undeniable qualities of masculinity?
A genuine, masculine man is:
self-aware and comfortable with who he is.
unapologetic about himself but considerate in his actions.
purposeful but open to discussions.
unafraid to rethink a decision when required.
capable of distinguishing confident from brash.
realistic, decisive, and forthright.
someone who sees his woman as a person and values what he sees.
A man who looks at me with a gleam in his eye and a softening of his expression.
These masculine attributes are more important than how any man looks or dresses. (Altho' a small gold hoop in his ear never hurt the situation...)
9 comments:
"A genuine masculine man..."
That is inspired! You are dead on!
LMAO about the small gold hoop earring.
mouse
confidence.... without arrogance is a huge turn on for me. a sense of humour.. including one that can laugh at his own foibles...yes, I like men too, very much, and I have to add, I really really like a penis, I do.
D. has TWO small hoops - grins ... they match the ones I have somewhere else LOL
mouse-
Thank you, ma'am! Glad it strikes a chord.
selkie-
Well, really nothing to disagree with there... *coughs*
And I'm happy to hear I'm not alone in my love of hoops!
I must say I am shocked, appalled, almost speechless (I did say almost). To treat men as hunks of meat, beef cake for your amusment well I never... however perhaps one day if I am lucky.
And not that anyone asked but no gold hoops. sorry.
"A man who looks at me with a gleam in his eye and a softening of his expression."
I think that says it all about the ones who stir my heart. As to other parts of me,,,
Interesting eyes, wit and personality, broad shoulders, his focus and attention, strong hands, stamina,,,
And for me, a plain pinky ring with a bracelet will cause serious distraction.
Sir J-
If I ever render you speechless, I shall be forced to take your temperature. Know this and be prepared...
And if you want to be treated like beefcake, perhaps you should consider the gold hoops?
;-p
(silver??)
CD-
Yeah, the stirs the heart thing could go on and on. I considered throwing a whole lot more stuff in but then realized I was describing everything I liked, not just "masculine qualities."
And since I've given MC grief about losing focus in his writing, I didn't feel this was the time and place for me to wander too far afield! (*ahem*)
A nice primer on what a "genuine, masculine man" is. Fine tuning in process.
Jz, I am afraid I just way to old fashioned. The only jewlery I wear or have ever worn is a fairly plain gold wedding ring that has never been off my finger and a watch. Anything more for me would seem frilly. Guess I am just not beefcake material.
J.
BMan-
Welcome and thanks! It's good to fine-tune. Shows you're a work in progress... ;-)
Sir J-
I know. While I'm not kidding about liking earrings, I am only teasing when I suggest you try one. A guy has to be comfortable with them and they have to suit. The look is just wrong on some.
Actually, I grew up in a family where the men are so anti-jewelry, they don't even wear wedding rings. So I generally don't care for it on a guy myself. Except earrings, which seem to have slipped past the genetic censor somehow!
Post a Comment