Wednesday, September 20, 2017

An Evening With Thelma and Louise

We’d taken a ferry out to the island for a lively day of sun and fun. (With a lot of wind and rain thrown in on the trip home.) Discussing our plans for the evening (as we huddled in our jackets against the damp,) Thelma said, “50 Shades of Grey is playing on TV - I think it would be really interesting to watch that with you.” (Translation: “I intend to pepper you with questions.”)

Now, there are plenty of people in my life from whom that would be an uncomfortable suggestion. As I’ve mentioned before, I’m from New England - we don’t really talk about things sexual. But this is Thelma, who once coaxed me into posing come-hitherishly in slinky lingerie while she snapped pictures, and then marched me and the negatives into one of those places that personalizes things like, oh, say, pillows (picking a random domestic item out of the hat *ahem*) by printing them with your pictures. She and the man behind the counter then had a fine old time discussing the likely success of this gift for my boyfriend - while I stood there, trying to un-swallow my tongue…

So, I wasn’t really that worried about the upcoming interrogation. I did, however, have to think twice about watching 50 Shades. Thelma the vanilla has read the book, Jz the erstwhile submissive has not. I never felt up to facing the abyssmal writing and I already had my own hot, kinky lovelife… so why bring bad prose into the picture?

I was kind of curious about the movie however, so I gave in gracefully.

Dinner was had and then, by mutual agreement, we postponed our dessert until movie time. The rain continued to patter down outside as the wind slapped branches against the windows, so we decided that jammies and snuggly robes were in order for the big viewing experience. This, in turn, led to Thelma suggesting that we do a little “spa night” thing - an idea I jumped on. I may not be a big makeup fan but lotions and scrubs and bubbles sing a siren song to my inner girly-girl every time. 

So we washed, we exfoliated, we masqued, we moisturized, we took selfies (*eyeroll*)…
        and then we grabbed our treats and pulled up our chairs for movie time.

Two women “of a certain age” in fluffy robes, with hair pulled back and heavy goop on their faces, eating hot fudge sundaes while watching a naughty movie. It was completely ridiculous - and more fun than I’ve had in ages.

Particularly since Thelma kept yelling, “Wait!” and hitting the pause button to ask for clarification of the events onscreen. I’d answer, she’d process the information (her face during the explanation of “fisting” was absolutely priceless) then she’d either say “OK” and hit resume, or she'd pull the afghan up over her head and squeal for a moment. (And then emerge going, “All right - I don’t get that one but whatever…”)

             Dear Thelma,
                    I’ve missed you.
                         I’m glad we’re back.
                                           Love, Louise

12 comments:

julie said...

Fantastic. I need a Thelma!!!

Cat said...

Hahaha...that's the only one to watch that movie, Jz. Thanks for sharing.

Hugs and blessings...Cat

messymimi said...

Sounds like an excellent day and evening, even if there probably are a lot better movies out there.

Cat said...

Good gravy autocorrect...way not one! That's the only way to watch that movie!

Jz said...

j-
It was - and yes, Thelmas are good. ;-)

C-
Well, I'll admit that I couldn't help thinking that we were sort of perpetuating a stereotype... but it was too much fun to stop.

mm-
It was fun - and yes, there may be better movies out there (altho' I liked this better than I'd thought I might) but as the whole point was the peppering of questions, it worked out just fine.

olivia said...

How fun. I love that vision of the two of you watching the movie (which of course I haven't seen, but I read the book.)

Jz said...

O-
Yes, times with Thelma always skate the edge of existential absurdity - which is one of the things I love about her. :-D

Arti said...

OMG! This a post that's making me want to be Thelma and get in that fluffy robe with goop on my face and sit next to you.
Awesome! girl friends in pjs eating sundaes while one educates the other--perfect!
So many ha!ha! moments--thank you for wide grin on my face:)
Enjoy your Sunday (trying to be clever -- hope u notice the homophone)

Arti said...

There's an 'is' missing in the first line above...
reading after posting--not very clever after all:(

Jz said...

Friend A-
No worries.
It would take a whole lot more than a miserable little typo for me not to be delighted by a comment from YOU!
Adding you to the bunch sounds deelightful.
Just be warned, we'll mock you if you get hot fudge in the goop.
(don't ask me why that possibility occurred to me.)
:-D

selkie said...

I won't lie- haven't read the book, haven't seen the movie - from what I've read ABOUT them I was told they were hardly on the mark as it were. Also, having heard the two main characters in the movies DESPISED each other put me off....but regardless, sounds like a GREAT evening!!

Jz said...

s-
Oh, it was completely unconvincing as a D/s story... but it succeeded as soft porn.
And, despite getting the dynamic all wrong, I thought they did do a good job at conveying the sensual eroticism of a flogging. (i.e., that part made me squirmy - the rest, no. But that? yes.)

It was a very fun evening. :-D