In more than one post recently, I distanced myself from the attribute of serenity, because that is simply not a word that strikes me as appropriate for my character.
After reading greengirl's post on "waiting", however, I realized that I had overlooked one fundamental way in which serenity does occupy a place within me - and plays a role in my relationship.
gg posits that waiting is not a passive state but rather a very active administration of our own expectations. We "wait" in patience, controlling our responses, curbing our assumptions, and, ideally, cultivating within ourselves the habit of acceptance. Like any struggle, however, good footing is required if we are to succeed.
Two basic tenets form the core of my beliefs about my dynamic:
-I believe that I am doing what is right for me.
-I believe that I am in a relationship with great potential for growth.
In fact, my faith in those two points is so profound that it does indeed create a deep-seated feeling of serenity within me. One that provides the solid ground in which to anchor the rest of the tumult. That anchor, I think, is the key to patience. Being grounded allows us to remain positive and optimistic and open.
It does feel a bit odd to be laying claim to serenity.
But it's no more peculiar than using the words "patience" and "me" in the same sentence, I suppose... ;-)
6 comments:
I think you read more wisdom into what i said than what i said. And good for you - i mean that very sincerely.
I like the way you describe this. And agree - for me, it's a solid belief that this is where I'm supposed to be right now - even not knowing what comes next. For sure, there's serenity in that.
aisha
@gg... I think you express more wisdom than you can even fathom. :)
@Jz... it's great that you've come to realize this. I think a lot of people imagine serenity as being a meditative state where you're just at complete calm and peace. I suppose it could be like that, but I believe your description is probably much more accurate.
*hugs*
turiya
gg-
silly woman!
No abjuring your own thoughts, now.
a-
Yes, I totally concur about the "even not knowing what comes next" part. Cuz I sure as shootin' have no idea what the future may explode - but here I still am. :-0
t-
yeah, I think I fell into that trap, too.
Thanks, cutes!
Serenity is an interesting word. It is not often one we use. It is perhaps a quality we forget in our busy worlds.
There is a power in it. Rising above or beyond the pressures impacting on us. Becoming immune to those pressures and finding our own sense of time and place and pleasure.
Following your post I visited greengirl and wrote of stillness. Perhaps that is way for some to find a path to and ultimately discover serenity.
However serenity has a feeling of being a passive quality. It is a good one to have - but I believe that active qualities are equally important.
However you have discovered a faith in two important tenets. They are fundamental to you and your future life.
They will give you the strength as well as the serenity to move forward positively and confidently in your life.
Good luck.
- P xx
P-
I think that connotation of passivity is why I failed to recognize that I did in fact have a core of serenity inside myself.
But on occasion I am able to wake up and smell the coffee...!
Post a Comment