Tuesday, November 16, 2010

As Seen on The Internet

So there I was, back in those golden days of collegiate splendor, soaking up some sun as I waited for my ride to arrive. A limo with diplomatic plates pulled up in the circle and parked. After a few minutes, a nicely-suited flunky popped out of the limo, camera in hand, pointed the lens directly at the venerable granite stairs upon which I was draped, snapped the shutter, and retreated back into the limo.

Odd, but non-invasive, so, OK. But I started to think. (Hey - It's me...!)
"I wonder how many people around the world actually have a picture that I am in, somewhere?"

Fast forward to the present. I was recently back-reading some blogs and came across posts that both sfp and sin wrote in which they wondered if any of their readers would ever recognize them in real life.

OK, so we've now extended those world-wide pictures to include both virtual and actual and have added the new ponder of what people think when they see that picture...
Good Lord! I may need to lie down in a darkened room...

Not long ago, I discovered that an entire family (unknown to me except in a "friend of a friend of a friend" kind of way) refers to me as "Dancing Girl" because I repeatedly appear bopping in the background of their 1995 reunion pictures. I have become a sort of pet stranger, a family in-joke.

But Dancing Girl is kind of cool. It's being Schizo Girl that concerns me.
Because you guys know me only through my words. And even *I* find my writing voice a bit paradoxical. It can't seem to make up it's mind if it's reserved or open, sensible or whimsical, katharevousa or demotike. It's like I'm my own personal antipodes.

A writer friend assures me that the voice succeeds despite this, because it's genuine, so it works. (Yes, I write like I think -- be afraid...) But he can say that, because he knows me. You guys, however, are left to your own devices to imagine the package that could hold all those voices.
So I decided to help you out with a visual that should make it all clear:

It's a seven-headed hydra -- en arabesque.

Oooh! The Dancing Hydra... I like it!
Not sure what I'll use it for, but I call dibs on the name!!

9 comments:

turiya said...

Yeah, I write like I think too... that's why I hardly make any sense. LOL

*hugs*

turiya

Anonymous said...

That is exactly how I imagined you!except with pretty blue green eyes, which must look lovely set off by your dark orange hide. LOL.

aisha said...

LOL - thanks for sharing the picture! Now I would recognize you anywhere...

aisha

greengirl said...

I'm having trouble visualizing the tall and busty aspects - guess I'll have to keep rearranging the images in my head.

word verification: droolu

Anonymous said...

Perplexed.

I had a nice vision of you. A lovely vision. Now...I'm afraid.

At least you're a nice color--red poppy :-) It is said that Red poppies stir the imagination, evoke pleasure.

-H

Jz said...

t-
As opposed to the cohesive, tautly developed prose I lay down on these virtual pages???
;-p

KR-
I think I just tossed what passes for my mane...!
(thank you)

a-
I'd hate to not be recognized by my friends.

gg-
You're trying to drive me to Photoshop, aren't you?
(would you believe the boobs are between the thoraxic folds?)

H-
What?
A lovelier vision than the reality??
And I'll take the stirring the imagination thing, thank you.

turiya said...

Exactly... well I mean they make sense to me! hehe...

*hugs*

turiya

Anonymous said...

People only know me by my words, too. But I'll help you out in visualizing me: I'm tall, slim, with piercing blue eyes and a chiseled chin. People often mistake me for a movie star.

O, and I lie a lot, too.

Jz said...

M-
OMG! That is EXACTLY how I pictured you!!
You're good...

ps- I prefer the word "hyperbole" to "lie" :-)