I've been thinking about greengirl's post from the island of misfit girls.
I loved this piece because so much in it truly struck home with me. Which means, of course, that I read into it based on my own experiences.
So, to me, her post simply addressed the sense of wistfulness that can occasionally grip us. Yes, we can all be insecure at times. But there have also been times when my honest reactions have been, I believe, unfairly labeled "insecurities." It's entirely possible to accept who and what you are and yet still wish for a certain experience to happen at least once. This doesn't mean you want to change anything, just that you'd like to satisfy a curiosity about an unknown.
In that spirit then, I present:
A Misfit Girl's Fantasy Day
I would get out of bed as one of those women whose hair is only gently rumpled. I think it might be nice to see the same, recognizable reflection each and every morning.
On the other hand, I do enjoy starting off the day with a good giggle...
My morning would be filled with energetic bustling as I rapidly and efficiently knocked through the items on my to-do list.
I would be a paragon of accomplishment.
But there is much to be said for the beauty of a quiet morning, observed while sipping coffee on the porch.
I would spend the afternoon as a short little woman.
I'd learn what it feels like to have that gallant, puffed-up, and protective look that men exude around tiny little things aimed in my direction.
Additionally, I would enjoy not having to entertain concerns about whether I might accidentally smother a man in bed.
Yet I appreciate the fact that my height makes me harder to patronize or intimidate. My über-smart, ultra-petite friend has had men pat her on the head.
I would have to hurt someone... and not by smothering, can I just add.
I'd go to dinner as a svelte knock-out, confident that heads would turn.
Men would want me, women would hate me, clothes would fit me.
But I loathe being judged superficially and who wants to be hated?
The novelty would last about five minutes.
I'd retire to bed, happy in the knowledge that I was someone's heart.
Alone is better than being with the wrong person.
You may trust me on this...
Sporadic wistfulness aside, I prefer my reality.
*************************************
“Make the most of yourself, for that is all there is of you..” -Emerson
*************************************
8 comments:
I love it! It made me laugh and think!
I love tall, confident, super-smart women.
-H
*pat, pat on your head*
Very much a post I needed to read today!
Serenity
Welcome, JT and S!
Glad it moved you to speak up. :-)
H-
errr, thanks.
*bides time for retaliation...*
I love the ability to smother a man with his obsession
it's so fitting
sfp
sfp-
Oh, yes, that sort of smothering is lots of fun.
But not the one that concerns me...
Grass is always greener and all that... yeah, I've learned that my grass is green enough. I don't need to take over someone else's lawn.
Hehe...
*hugs*
turiya
A good analogy.
Except now I've got "The Green, Green Grass of Home" stuck in my head.
Thanks, t!
;-p
Post a Comment