I tried to write that letter to my 20-year old self, but I couldn't, because that girl already knew the most important things I could tell her.
Nor would I want to alter her path. It's been too good a ride. Even the lousy things, and there are a LOT of those in life, were worthwhile.
You see, I firmly believe you can learn and grow from every experience, no matter how rotten.
You may think I'm smug, saying I already knew the important things at age 20. But I learned them from my mom's death when I was twelve:
- You can live through anything, despite how it seems at the time.
- Life is too short to let regrets get a foothold.
The first is really invaluable knowledge, the second a challenge that requires both effort and active participation. Paired together, they neutralize a lot of fear. So, armed with this knowledge at a relatively early age, I learned to listen for my own drummer. With the very fortunate result that, for someone at my stage of life, I have remarkably few regrets.
I will not lie to you and say there aren't roads I would have liked to explore. There are plenty. But they are roads I never happened upon, as opposed to roads I deliberately chose not to drive. Those, at least to my mind, are not the same thing. To me a regret is over an option you actively did or did not pursue. And I just don't regret much.
I don't kid myself that this fortunate state is all my doing. A lot of it is nothing but sheer dumb luck. But some of it is the result of a deliberate strategy. While I wouldn't say my method is for everyone, what works for me is going with my gut.
This can be tough, because often what your gut tells you is right will fly in the face of sense. You need to cultivate courage, conviction and a whole lot of determination. Family and friends will try to sway you. You will second-guess yourself. Frequently, your head will mutter, "What are you, stupid or something??" (Most likely in a voice that sounds like your dad.) Or your heart will insist that the solution lies in action of the immediate, wild, and extravagant nature.
Your gut, however, knows what is right.
Right is not always what you want. It is not a guarantee that things will work out. Right is rarely the option that gets you immediate gratification. Rather, it's usually the one that requires patience and the willingness to give up something to get something back. But right is the thing that pays you back with a sense of confidence and serenity that you have done your best. Right negates regret.
And sometimes, right is even life-altering. Like when someone says, "Hey! You like to sub!" and your entire reality rearranges itself into something more achingly fulfilling than you'd ever thought you'd achieve.
It's worth listening to that lowly organ, I tell ya.
9 comments:
I really like this. I'm not sure regret serves any purpose. Learning from the past is absolutely crucial, but I think living in the regret of roads not taken or of decisions you wish you could re-do only impairs your ability to really live the now.
gg-
Yep. Regrets can be boggy. They sort of suck you in and you're stuck, unable to move - not forwards or backwards or in any way that would let you get on with life.
Pointless, as you note.
Agreed, with Jz and Greengirl.
I thought about this, I have nothing to write to my 20 year old self...to tell her or warn her or steer her a different way. Even one major thing that happened in my life, which caused a great deal of pain, I do not regret it; I wouldn't change; and I'd let my 20 year old self proceed just as she did.
-H
H-
zackly. Why change a path that leads us to where we're happy?
I know where you're coming from. I was pretty sure of where I wanted to go at 20 too. Maybe not as far as career or anything specific, but I always had a very laid back attitude toward life. I had decided that I was going to spend my 20's being frivolous and having fun and that's exactly what I did, much to the disappointment of my family. And you know what? I feel like it was the best thing I ever did for myself. I have absolutely no regrets. I learned a lot about myself and my strengths and weaknesses. I think this helped prepare me to be able to settle down and have a family and to truly appreciate what I have.
Most of the people in my family are very immature and take what they have for granted. It's funny because they see me as the flighty one who will never be successful at anything, where I see myself as the only one who took her time to prepare for success rather than just jumping into life and hoping I stayed afloat.
*hugs*
turiya
t-
yeah, following someone else's drummer doesn't work very well...
Liked this very much. I know you had some luck, but I see a lot of courage from you. Not everyone has that.
I think if I could advise my 20 yr old self, I would say, "Lighten up!"
You know, while overall I agree with this, I have to admit that there are one or two paths that I *really* wonder if I should have taken. Not like, should I have bought the Jeep instead of the Dodge, but paths that would have involved some major life changes.
I find that when my life is stressed, I wonder about those decisions more often.
M-
Not sure if it's courage or sheer, unadulterated pigheadedness.
But "courage" sounds better, so I'll take it, thank you! ;-)
Yes, I think a lot of people could stand to lighten up. (Which is not to be confused with being frivolous or trivial. Just - lighter.)
T-
I think that's where the dumb luck comes into play for me. There are always moments of wondering that can occur, but mine pass.
Certainly, tho' when we're stressed and things aren't looking so hot, that kind of doubt or second-guessing is more prone to raise it's head. Which is why it's so important to me to have gone with my instincts. Perhaps not infallible but that's the route I trust most, so, I follow...
Post a Comment