Anyhow, this meant that silliness, philosophers, and submission were all a-whirl in my head when I came across this rather unfortunate grouping under the name Whitman-
"Resist much, obey little."
"And your very flesh shall be a great poem."
"And I will show that nothing can happen more beautiful than death."
I'm afraid An Idea Was Born.
"A Consideration of the Dominance Quotient of Great Thinkers Throughout History -as expounded by Jz
(Includes Dubious References and Spurious Conclusions)"
You have to admit, it's a perfect fit. As a word-loving submissive who espouses the mind fuck above all, I'm really kind of surprised I hadn't thought of it before.
My first inclination was to limit the consideration to philosophers but as I flipped through my Bartlett's (Yes, I have my own copy of Bartlett's Quotations ... and an OED. Raise your hand if you're surprised...!,)
I realized that there was good fodder among poets and writers as well. So, I expanded my base.
Meaning, of course, that there are now far too many subjects to be tackled in a single post. So I will feed you occasional installments, until I run out of things to say, or you, dear readers, sicken of it and begin to shun me. (Although I'd rather you let me know before it reached that point. A quick email with the word, "Cease!" in the subject heading should do the trick.)
I expect some posts will be totally silly but some may actually contain meat. Or it could all fall flat and be discarded almost immediately.
You just never know.
Let us at least make a start, however...
Now, I'm going to pass on Walt Whitman because that little grouping raised the hair on the nape of my neck. Plus, the sheer, unrestrained superfluity of his beard just skeebs me out. But there are others whose words lend themselves to a quick overview.
Aristotle-
"That which acts is always superior to that which is acted upon..."
He has certainly captured the correct tone, anyhow...
Bacon-
"Champagne for my sham friends; real pain for my real friends."
No play dates until the acquaintance is firmly established, then...
Cicero-
"In everything, satiety closely follows the greatest pleasures."
Ooooooooooo...
Hobbes-
"nasty, brutish, and short"
That's just a FAIL right across the board, there.
(Remember the sub-title, folks!)
Plato-
"Life must be lived as a play."
hmmm, that has potential...
"I shall assume that your silence gives consent."
before or after the ball gag?
"There is no harm in repeating a good thing."
I'm starting to like this guy...
"Death is not the worst that can happen to men."
RED!!!
(Anyone you'd like to suggest I consider?)





10 comments:
Asked O, he's the quote man... one of his favorites is a Robert Frost quote about Dominance
“The strongest and most effective force in guaranteeing the long-term maintenance of power is not violence in all the forms deployed by the dominant to control the dominated, but consent in all the forms in which the dominated acquiesce in their own domination.”
Robert Frost quotes (American poet, 1874-1963)
He has others but Sir said mouse has to cook dinner.
Hugs,
mouse
In honor of our mutual Bdays -- may recommend a little Nietzsche
Extreme positions are not succeeded by moderate ones, but by contrary extreme positions.
oh-- and P.S. You suck for getting that song stuck in my head
sfp
m-
That's a good one - but it will have to wait for one of the serious consideration days, I think! :-)
sfp-
Nietzsche is already on the list but I didn't have that particular quote, thank you.
(And I hate to sing alone, so I'm unrepentant...);-p
ok -- another bday sharer:
The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain.
Karl Marx
Hmmmm....
fodder for thought...
I love this - will definitely tune if for the series. I don't know any famous philosopher quotes at the moment - but I saw a good one on a church sign this morning "it's not a matter of thinking less of yourself, it's a matter of thinking of yourself less."
gg-
I think it must be part of a chain! There's one around here that comes up with some really good ones, too.
Y'all are definitely going to keep me busy... :-)
Winnie the Pooh:
“You can't stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you. You have to go to them sometimes.”
A wise bear, that Pooh!
:-)
Post a Comment