Saturday, May 8, 2010

On Walking Alone

Something I read on Submissive Guide got stuck in my head.
A new sub wrote that she could feel her Dom changing her - and that others had noticed the changes and their feedback wasn't positive.

It got me thinking how isolating this whole lifestyle experience can be, particularly to new subs. It removes us from the milieu in which we're used to functioning and most of us flounder until we find our feet.

I suspect a number of people will read this and want to focus on the subject of the sub's allegience and to whom she should be listening.
But I'd really like us to bracket that, please.
This is not a consideration of procedure or right and wrong.
Instead, it's a musing on feeling -- the feeling of being cut off from life as you know it and how lonely it can feel as you adjust to your new reality.

No gender bias intended, but it seems that the majority of subs are female. And while there are always exceptions, most women tend to utilize a decision-making process that is much more socialized than most men's. (You know this. Why else the standing joke about how women can't even go to the public restrooms alone?)

To women, our friends are a support sytem, a second line of defense that may catch something we ourselves failed to notice. We want to hear what they say, in order to be more confident we have weighed all the possible ramifications of our decision. So even if we don't always take our friend's advice, we do have the habit of always considering it.

When you enter into TTWD, tho', you throw a wrench into that support system. Few of us, after all, share the details of what we're doing. Rather, we adopt a "don't ask, don't tell" policy, make sure our clothing covers the bruises, and just side-step entire key elements of our relationships.

This is fine as long as we're happy and our friends are happy that we're happy.

But things rarely stay warm and fuzzy. At some point, there will be a hiccup and our friends will have a concern and will offer input. This is where it gets tricky, because the habits and inclinations of a lifetime now fail us. We begin the process of evaluation that we have always used before and immediately stub our toes.

We know our friends don't have all the information but we have no intention of filling them in. They're going to call it as they see it, yet we know they don't see it ALL.
Which means that before we weigh their advice, we first have to filter and re-examine it in light of the missing pieces.
And then:
  assess how those missing pieces might alter the given opinion,
  consider if our friend has a valid point or is just resisting change,
  examine our own fears of losing an important piece of ourselves,
  remind ourselves of the equally important things we've gained,
before, finally,
  we weigh all those pieces.

This is work! Work which frequently creates friction and often distance, as well. Because even if our friends are willing to calmly accept that something has changed and go along with us, we feel the strain within ourselves. It's not insurmountable but it's a lot coming at you at one time and it can be a bit overwhelming.

Unfortunately, it's a process we all have to work through on our own - with no easy answers, so I offer none. All I can say is that eventually, we do gain confidence and the mad gyrations ease. We do become comfortable with our course. And generally, the friendships survive.

So, take heart. There IS hope, young padawan...

7 comments:

turiya said...

This is something I've actually been thinking a lot about lately. You know how I've been concerned about my family's reaction to this all, but the deeper I looked, the more I started realizing as far as how people view me as a person... I've been more concerned about the reaction of my friends.

I think I've spent too much time hiding the true me from them and it always put up a barrier. When I was a kid it was my spiritual beliefs and now it's the lifestyle I choose to live.

Well when I shared my spiritual beliefs, some of them thought I was a bit quirky, some thought it was really cool and the rest fell somewhere in between... but I haven't lost one friend over it. So I figured, why keep this side of me secret. All my friends already know I'm a bit weird, so one by one I've been letting them in on my little secret.

I don't mention the Master/slave thing so much (unless they actually show some interest). I basically tell them we're into BDSM and it's how we met... and that he runs the show. So far the only shocked response I got was "Well damn... I always pegged you for a Domme".

I think if they understand to some extent from the start... before they see something that sets them to worrying (like a bruise), they can be more accepting of it. There are a lot of friends I haven't told yet because I'm really not sure how they'll react, but I'm slowly working on it.

I think eventually I might even tell my family... it would be better than them finding out on their own and coming to the wrong conclusion somehow.

*hugs*

turiya

greengirl said...

I have had a lot of thoughts about this - unfortunately - as a whole they are not very coherent. I have trouble really explaining what we do to myslef much less others, how we are now is much, much different than the way our friends know us, and we have the advantage of an established relationship - which means we don't need to explain our dynamics - we already exist. On the other hand, I have come to very much appreciate friends I have come to know in this world online. The support and learning is sooooo amazing.

Jz said...

t-
Yeah, feeling like you're hiding something is never comfortable. With my closer friends, I've just said there's more to it than meets the eye but that I'm not going to get into it. They're fine with that. We're Yankees, no one wants to go all TMI anyhow. :-)

gg-
Very true about the online friendships we make. The support is terrific, it's an amazing knowledge base, and it sure does make you feel less alone.
They still leave you in the same boat, of course. Because you guys don't have the entire story, either, not knowing Jz the Real Life Person. (there's a TV show title for ya!)

But ultimately, the decisions are ours to make anyhow. It's the support that's helpful. And we get that in spades.
(Have I said "thanks" for that lately?)

worm said...

I have always been honest to a fault, and many of my friends know lots of details about my personal life. Once people get to know me, they simply feel they can ask me anything, and I pretty much always answer! Sometimes this leaves us all feeling like we wish they hadn't, but such is life as my friend, and for the most part, this is one of my greatest assets.

As for the bdsm part; the SM part surprises no one since I have always been highly sexual and adventurous in all areas of my life. But the D/s part takes a little more explanation, which I can't always provide since, as we all know, it often arises from feelings, not thoughts, and these can be a bit more elusive to understand when they are seemingly at odds with my grande personae.
Just the other day, I was telling my bf (a guy) about my new "dirty old man." He was pleased with all the great things I had to say about him, and said that we sounded quite compatible. Then he added, "I sure hope you are getting into that whole slave thing again." "And what if I was?" I asked. Silence for a time. "Well, as long as he treats you with more respect than the last one, I guess I'll approve."

I haven't lost a real friend over it yet, nor do I anticipate I will. As you said, sometimes there are bumps, a bit of distance, but in the end, all a real friend cares about is another friend's happiness, whatever it looks like (and as long as they don't have to participate!)

Jz said...

w-
I hear ya on the honesty. My friends have learned that they had better only ask if they're fully prepared for whatever I might answer. About anything. And yes, we sometimes all wish we hadn't gone there.

The problem is, tho', that you don't just out yourself if you come clean. You necessarily out your lover, too. And in our case, that's not something I'm willing to do. It's his story to tell, not mine.

btw- VERY exciting about the new dirty old man!
*does little happy dance*
Will we be reading about him soon in that upcoming blog of yours?? (she bats her eyelashes and grins)

worm said...

Oh the pressure, the pressure!!!! I think I was drunk when I set that up and in a serious state of denial about the free time that I had. And now I have this new task Master. Although, he is a total exhibitionist and would likely delight in 'our story' being shared on the internet.
I saved the spot.....it will happen, I just can say when.......

Jz said...

Well, no point in doing it if you're not feeling ready. I just had to tease... :-)