Monday, November 10, 2014

Deal-breakers and Sticky Bits

There's some truly incredible eye candy that has moved into the office next to mine. 
  (oh, to be 20 years younger!)

I encouraged my more age-appropriate co-worker to check him out…
But, no.
"He's really cute, amazing voice, gets a lot of points overall -- but he wears cargo pants… and I just can't."

Which makes me laugh pretty hard, even tho' I get it.
We each have our own deal-breakers, whether or not they make sense to anyone else. There are just some things that make certain people a "no-go".

I got thinking, tho', about the other side of the equation.
That place where certain people register as "can't-stop's"
And I'm wondering... what exactly gives them that sticky bit? 

       (a sticky bit, roughly speaking, is a tiny permission setting on a file that makes it impossible to delete that file unless you are the creator.)

I suspect it's tempting to say that the "stick" comes from love, but I don't honestly think that's what it is. Love may certainly be part of it but I've been able to walk away from someone I love, just as I've been walked away from by someone I know truly loves me. And BG's sticky bit kicked in well before any higher emotions (of whatever name) were formed.

So, what is it that triggers that deep-seated sense of commitment, do you suppose?
(I don't have an answer here, I'm just sharing my wonderings.)

Ideas, anyone?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Yeah i hear what you're saying, but have no idea why it happens or what it's about. Interesting.

Jz said...

s-
Just one of those random things that occupy my time... ;-D

nilla said...

I;m confused.

too much dayquil perhaps? is this the backasswards way of sayin' what makes people stick rather than delete one another?

uhm...shared history (why my wife and I will stay together...hard to walk from 37 years+) despite other incompatabilities? financial, certainly. habit *mistyped as hobbit, and hell that is WAY too much dayquil there...*...which is kind of sad, really...and secruity.

or maybe you didn't mean what I thunk you did?

nilla

nilla said...

jesus...it's like being drunk without the giggles...

security. HELP ...spell check, save me!
nilla

Jz said...

n-
don't worry about the lack of giggles, they're all here, infecting me, after reading that. (Miss Affluent in Dog) ;-p

The way MY mind unraveled this particular thread (and I rarely get company on these wanders, so don't feel bad about the confusion) is not so much "what makes us stay together?" but more along the lines of, "what is it that makes me refuse to walk away?"

It's a very fine distinction - probably falling smack into all the over-thinking I've been accused of lately...
But no, in my head, it's deeper than just a genric "what are the ties that bind?"

nilla said...

oh well shit, I know the answer to that one...

you're a stubborn reluctant bitch!!

you dig in your heels and flatly refused to be cowed, give up, quit.

(plus, you're a gardener and I think those are some pretty important traits for those of us who fight bindweed, rabid hedges, and poison ivy on an annual basis--and we won't even discuss raking leaves before snowfall...!)

love,

nilla
(giggling. yup. affluent in dog, whahahahahaha!)

Jz said...

n-
umm, I thought that part already went without saying...? ;-p