That was kind of my theme this summer.
I just went plain ol' face down into the analgesic effects of a good, known paranormal series. Or, in my case, several good, known paranormal series.
I didn't tell you guys much about them, tho', so this edition of Wha'cha Readin' Wednesday will include an overview of my summertime paranormal binging, as well as describing the book currently propped open on my table.
For sheer summer escapism, I first plowed my way through Yasmine Galenorn's Otherworld series. I'd already gotten up through Book 12, but I had to re-read those before I could move on to the next three!
If you don't know this series, it centers around three sisters, half-human/half-fae, who live in Seattle and work for the Otherworld Intelligence Agency… or that's where it starts. Soon they are busy trying to prevent an invasion by evil minions from the Subterranean Realms, in between running businesses, acquiring hot lovers, and making mortal enemies of some very nasty critters.
Camille is a witch, Delilah a shape-shifter, and Menolly a vampire, and Ms. Galenorn features one sister per book, in turn, and each round of three books completes one phase of their adventures. (Although each book can also be read stand alone, but you'll miss a lot that way.)
Then I moved on to Eileen Wilks World of the Lupi. This is an urban fantasy series that features detective Lily Wu, a sensitive, and her bond-mate, Rule Turner, a werewolf "prince". The books are hot romance, but with a lot of magical mythology and intricate backstories. (Not too intricate to keep track of, however.) There are also superb secondary characters, some of whom actually carry entire books of the series themselves. It's good stuff. (Ask sofia if you don't believe me!)
I also threw in some Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson books (how can you not love a heroine who's a VW mechanic?) and Karen Chance's Cassandra Palmer series. (Klutzy, time-traveling seer and hot vampire. WhoooHOOO!)
So that was July and most of August. :-)
During these weeks known as Hell Month in my job, however, I don't have the energy at night for getting into a full novel. I need my escapism in smaller, more easily digestible pieces.
So, currently, I'm reading "Female Nomad and Friends" by Rita Golden Gelman. I've not read the original "Female Nomad", which is Ms. Gelman's account of her adventures of a life lived on the road and out of a suitcase, but this collection of short stories that her readers, in return, shared back with her, is a marvelous glimpse into the kind of wonderful and unexpected things that can happen to a person traveling alone amidst the unknown.
AND… speaking of digestible, it includes recipes!!
It's more anecdote than culinary but still, there are some terrific international meals to be found here…
(and I can't decide which to sample first!)
The book does cause a bit of an inner conflict for me, however. I'm really enjoying the stories, and some of them have given me a serious case of wanderlust...
Yet I am also forced to accept that my adventurous spirit is constrained by an equally strong love of running water and indoor plumbing.
Weenie Girl, First World Edition...


5 comments:
I've read Patricia Briggs, and might try some of the others you mention as I'm always looking for the next books. I like Fantasy and SpecFic, though not too existential. And Female Nomad sounds interesting. Thanks and glad you are back. What makes them Hell Weeks?
F
If I had any self control...... I did get to read a bit this summer. I've put your suggestions on my iPad before and gotten to them when it was safe, I'll have to do the same with these, tho my kids have convinced me I need to re-read wheel of time so ican read the last one. That might take awhile.
I LOVE the Fae serise by Karen Marie Moning... really excellent! Also finished up the Deborah Harkness series you recommended - really enjoyed it!
Mercy Rocks!!! I'll have to try the World of the Lupi. I have a serious thing for werewolves. While it sounds soo delightful and intriguing, Female Nomad and Friends might be too painful. I grow monster cases of wanderlust at the drop of the hat, and cannot go anywhere right now.
Lol, Greengirl. I bought every single book as soon as it came out, but stopped reading at book 7 because I had to reread the series every time a new book was published. I decided wait to collect the whole series and then read the dang thing in one big go. Only now I have to wait until school's out again. sigh.
F-
Hope you get a chance to try at least one!
gg-
now, that's not one I've ever tackled.
Worth it, you think?
s-
Oh, Yeah!
The Fever series is great!! I just don't own all the books in it, so I haven't re-read it for a while. But I do some serious swooning over Jericho… :-)
I'm glad you liked the Deborah Harkness. I finished the last one up over the summer too, but omitted to mention it, as I thought my list was getting a tad ridiculous! :-)
lm-
Mercy does Rock, indeed! :-)
But I think you might like Lily, too.
Post a Comment