Thursday, August 14, 2014

My Neighbor's Hedge

I sit in the armchair in my living room every day.
And every day, I look out my window to my neighbor's house across the road.
It's a charming, shingled affair with a long row of bushes running directly under the six windows across the front.

My neighbor is fastidious about caring for that little hedge. 

He is not haphazard like me. He doesn't go at it with random swoops of a hedge trimmer. No, indeed. He starts out with secateurs, and then moves on to what I strongly suspect are nail scissors. Something very tiny, certainly. And his care shows. This thing is beautifully manicured.

So every day, as I sit in my chair, I wonder why, with all that effort, he couldn't get it straight.

The distortion is minor, mind you. The top goes along smoothly, just barely touching the bottom of the window frame for five of the windows -- until at the sixth, it decides to angle up a mere 3 inches in height. Barely enough to register to the eye as more than a swell...
But quite enough to bug me.

Maybe not to the point of actual irritation -- but definitely enough that I notice it. 
Every. Single. Day.

I think I'm turning into my uncle.
The one who used to phone my dad (from a different house across the street) for no other reason than to say, "That (whatever) you installed is CROOKED. I'm looking at it right now and it's definitely CROOKED...!"

(Apparently, "pernsnickety" is a familial trait…)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

It's scary how much we start to resemble our parents sometimes.

F

greengirl said...

My husband is noticeably becoming the curmudgeon that his father is. Me on the other hand, I remain really quite perfect... ;)

Storm said...

LOL.
When my eldest was little, he used to line up his cars "Just so" he'd spend more time getting them lined up perfectly than he did playing with them. His father blamed me. I have no idea where anyone would get such a ridiculous idea!

But seriously, how could someone spend so much time on a hedge, and be able to stand not having it even!!

Tom Allen said...

There's a little hump in the lawn under that section in front of the hedge, and when he walks across, he doesn't realize that he's going up.

Blondie said...

Dare you....

Anonymous said...

A hereditary snick. Hmmm.

You just have perspicacious judgement where leafy angles are concerned. You could always sneak over in the dark of night and fix it for him. The trimmer fairy?

Unknown said...

Ohh, thumbs up for the trimmer fairy.

Jz said...

F-
true.
altho' parents are one thing… and parental siblings quite another!
That seems particularly unjust. :-)

gg-
undeniably so, in fact!
*snort*

l-
ridiculous to think you'd ever be that interested in cars, yes…
;-p

And yes.
That last sentence.
Exactly…

T-
That would be a fine and even acceptable idea, if only the genuinely existing little hump (of almost correct size!) weren't at the end under window #1, not #6…

perhaps it's to create some sort of inverted parallelogram?

B-
You are a dangerous friend to have!!
:-D

lm-
A Ninja Trimming Attack sounds grand, but I'd undoubtedly butcher the existing lines and give myself away…

F-
How are you at stealth pruning in straight lines? :-)

Tom Allen said...

I have no other ideas. No, wait - maybe the extension cord for the trimmer was at the end, and he had to tip it up to reach the end of the bushes.

Jz said...

That sounds like more of a me thing than him, from what I've observed...
but it's valid!