Saturday, October 5, 2013

The Monogamous Onion

I was listening to yet another old Erotic Awakening podcast, one where Dan and Dawn's Question of the Day was whether anyone can be poly, and how you could tell…
During the discussion, Dawn made the comment that she thinks people tend to be hardwired one way or the other, that some are wired to be monogamous and some are wired poly, but that we all have an insulating layer of societal expectations that can make it difficult to see what we really are…

I was kind of drowsing as I listened but my eyelids snapped wide open on that one - and my brain immediately added, "plus, the lifestyle tends to impose yet another layer on top of that…"

Because when you enter this heady world, it's easy to feel that there are community pressures to throw off the constraints of vanilla life. Monogamy is just one more societal conceit created to produce cookie cutter members, so why should we accept it? 
Who ever heard of a monogamous slut? 

It can land a person in an maddening quagmire, all those multiple layers of tropes.

But truthfully, altho' I have long considered a kinky nature to be just the result of wiring, I'd never thought about monogamy or polyamory as a wiring issue. That had always struck me as more of a morality-based decision. Does it sound too ridiculous for me to admit that even the suggestion that it's not something we can alter was an incredible relief?

Not because it means I don't have to change but more because it means my struggles aren't against a flaw - they're against a valid, real thing. And that difference in perspective actually changes a great deal. Because now the argument shifts from, "Why can't I make myself accept this? Why can I not change?" to "OK, it's just not gonna move. How do I punt around it?" (Not to mention, "Do I want to punt around it?")

I've spoken ad nauseam in the past about my great internal conflict over not being able to cheerfully assure BG that a ménage would be just splendid. I want to do and be what he wants, after all. But any form of sharing or being shared is something that I have NOT been able to get a handle on, and I have found that frustrating.  

It seemed I was battling a combination of societal construct and my own insecurities and getting nowhere. And since I know societal constructs aren't that important to me, then that must mean my insecurities go a lot deeper than I want to accept. (Which, btw, may still be true. However…) 
My lack of progress makes a lot more sense if I consider that maybe what I was actually doing was trying to peel away one construct so I could lay on another construct, when in fact, the truth lies in a layer even deeper, within something that is actually an integral part of me -- something that just IS, so it's OK to accept it and go from there.

And that makes me feel like SO much less of a hypocrite, it's positively emancipating.

Because I know I don't judge people who can multi-task their sexual fidelity -- so my inability to budge my own feelings on the matter was starting to make me feel like someone who could talk the talk but not walk the walk. 
Or a big fat chicken...

And neither hypocrite nor chicken is an adjective to make a person proud.

10 comments:

Alice said...

I so agree!! - from the other side of the equation though. To be allowed to accept my un-monogomous (not quite the same as "poly" I think) nature as a given and deal with it responsibly would be such a burden lifted. Guilt is just an unproductive drain.

sin said...

I'm not sure whether I think we are hard-wired for poly or monogamy. I supposed it's possible.

But does it really matter? Why would we need to feel guilty about it? It's something we want to explore or don't; that we're ready to explore or not.

Does this give you permission to feel more comfortable with feelings or decisions? And you can rest that on science?

I don't know what I think. Might need to come back later.

-sin

Jz said...

A-
I'm nodding here -- I had to slightly sidestep the whole monogamous/un-monogamous/poly distinctions issue myself, or I would have gotten so hopelessly tangled, I could never have spat out what I wanted to say.

And yes. I can see that if we could package the action as a function of nature than a choice, it could really impact the amount of acceptance and support that others might give us.
(Not to mention ourselves…)


s-
Well, in my head anyhow, it's not feeling guilty about wanting or not wanting to so much as it is feeling aggravated at not being able to pick out what I'm tripping up on.

I have two conflicting wants that I cannot wrangle into unity, so clearly something is going on to keep me from integrating them -- and I want to know what and why.
And no, I don't need the science to validate my feelings but it is true that I prefer to make informed decisions. I don't need to figure out everything ahead of time but I do like to at least feel certain there's water in the pool before I dive. :-)

nilla said...

I'm not sure it can ever be scientifically *proven* that to be or not to be ....

(monogomous/jealous/poly--fill in the term of choice)

...is hardwired in our DNA, or whether it is a function of our growth and experiences.

I know several people that are slam-dunk loyal monogamists. Would never even dream of "cheating" (like my wife). Then again, I know a few "flirters"--does that make them "less monogamous"? Or just super friendly extroverts? (Or trying-too-hard introverts?)

I do believe that a certain amount of this *is* in our personal wiring. Because if it was nurture-inspired, one would suppose that you could "train" yourself towards acceptance. And clearly, some people just cannot.

If I could wiggle my little witchy nose and "make you" know that you are okay just as you are...I'd do that for you. Unfortunately that doesn't make you *believe* it...for real. Because I know that you struggle with things in your head that doesn't occur to many of us. Have I told you lately how much I enjoy these conversations? For sure they make me think...and if my words help you see that you're ...perfectly imperfect...and that is okay...well..that's even better than wiggling my witchy nose at you, isnt it?

shoulder bumpage...

nilla

Jz said...

n-
"if it was nurture-inspired, one would suppose that you could "train" yourself towards acceptance. And clearly, some people just cannot."

^^^^this^^^^
exactly.
I can't -- and I like the thought that there may be a reasonable explanation for why not…

And yes, you're right. There's quite a range of degrees that would be hard to categorize, multiple shades of that-color-that's-between-black-and-white, in fact. And as a fan of the fuzzy line, I'm ok with that, but it does complicate the issue.

Thank you for the nose wiggles. :-)

Betsy T said...

I am fascinated by this topic! I have been writing myself about my struggles with this. I even recently had a threesome and while it wasn't horrible, I struggled with jealously, feeling left out and even downright anger at times. I'm not sure if it is wired in us or not but 5 years ago, I would have NEVER even considered it and now I've come to semi enjoy parts of it. Whether or not I will ever be able completely embrace or enjoy it, I guess only time will tell.

Jz said...

Welcome, ssw. :-)

That's a brave journey you're on, if it's such a struggle but you continue to push along. (Maybe you should become our "reporter in the field"! ;-p)

Your perspective, however, made a bit of a pin drop for something I think sin and nilla were trying to convey but I couldn't quite grab hold of...

I'm not willing to relinquish the thought that there is - or can be - hard-wiring at the bottom quite yet, but maybe there's a neutral setting, too?
And at that point, maybe it is just a matter of working through the conditioning and emotions...

Not sure...
All I know is that the idea makes sense of my struggles to me -- and I found that really helpful.

sin said...

Some poly relationships work better than others too. I've been in some that made me feel jealous, left out and angry, and in some that made me feel very sweet and compersive (I wonder if that's a real word?) about them. Just as not all relationships we've ever had with ONE other person were great, not all relationships with TWO other people are great.

t1klish said...

I'm definitely wired to be monogamous, both mentally and physically. I've always had one-person focus. It started the day I was born. Not with a man yet, but with my mother. When I was a baby I only liked my mother touching me. She tells me I pushed everyone else away, and that's how I was through my entire memory of early childhood. Once I got to be about 5 I started fixating on one boy at a time, and only one. No mental or physical interest in others. Then I was married for 30 years. Now I'm with Master. I don't even share food with anyone other than the one person. I never have. The thought of it is yucky to me. So definitely monogamous from birth. And Master wants me to do other people to entertain him. LOL. Seriously. No.

Jz said...

t-
Just think of all the mental gymnastics you've saved yourself from!
I can't say I'm quite that single-minded but it's gratifying to hear I'm not entirely alone in the boat.
:-)